close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What did you load today

Discussion in 'Reloading/Ammunition' started by onlymaroonmatters, Jan 22, 2017.

1. BasMstr

BasMstr Distinguished Poster

Maybe one of these days I'll get about 1k of them out and lined up for a group shot. :D

FYI, if you want to put more than 150 per bag, use the freezer bags, not the regular storage bags!

Mesquite, Shrek, rigrat and 1 other person like this.
  2. HotRod61

HotRod61 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Well at least your reloading. I got a bunch of supplies from Randy and haven’t done any reloading. Working to darn much. Lol

Mesquite, Shrek, rigrat and 1 other person like this.

3. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

105 gr you trying to save lead or what? Thats to light even for 38 spl.

Mesquite, Shrek and BasMstr like this.
  4. BasMstr

105 grain over 3.2 grains of W231 in .38 Spl brass is what I load for Bobcat as plinkung ammo in his GP100. Gonna order some 125 and 140 grain to try. Got some 140 grain already, but they’re Hornady’s, so I’ll save those to load as defensive/hunting rounds.

Soonered, Mesquite and Shrek like this.
  5. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

I typically shoot either 158 grain swc/ or / LRNFP's or 148 grain lwc's. But I like the heavier projectiles because they shot to POA.

6. BasMstr

Loaded up some more .357 rounds to test.....

(Six each) 3.4, 3.8, 4.2, 4.6, and 5.0 grains of W231, mixed brass, CCI Small Pistol Magnum primers, 158 grain, 0.358" diameter, 1.53" C.O.L.

IMG_1745.jpg

7. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

JUst reading this and noticed Magnum pistol primers, are they needed with the w231 powder? I use them but generally only with the 2400 slow powder.

Mesquite, Shrek and BasMstr like this.
  8. BasMstr

Data I used showed Magnum primers

9. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

I checked 2 of my manuals and I didn't see where either specified on the loads with 158 gr LSWC's. That was the reason for asking wasn't sure.

10. BasMstr

Neither one of my books showed W231 as a powder for the 158 grain bullet, I used data from the Hodgdon website.

upload_2017-10-5_15-36-39.png

Mesquite, rigrat and Shrek like this.
  11. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Thanks Bass totally forgot about being able to get the info online. Guess I'm getting forgetful. :D

Soonered, Mesquite and BasMstr like this.
  12. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Tried some 38spl shot shells with #9 shot tonight in the rain. SHots were 10' with my Taurus snub.
    Used Unique 3.0 gr, Bullseye 2.0, 2.5, and 2.8 grains. Target laying flat on the ground to simulate snake on ground.
    Don't care for the Unique load, and out of the BE loads I would go with 2.5. I think I'll try 2.5 gr Clays with the #9 like I used with the 7.5 shot and see how it does.

38shot2grunique.JPG 38shot2grbullseye.JPG
    38shot2.5grbullseye.JPG
    38shot2.8grbullseye.JPG

mascott, BasMstr, SubGunFan and 3 others like this.
  13. Canman

Canman Distinguished Poster

Brandon
    D130C925-810A-4652-8648-4B9ED932AA5C.jpeg Here’s what me and my son unloaded!

14. canebreaker

canebreaker Distinguished Poster

I shoot a 110 gr LRN bullet 2.4 gr Bullseye with a mag primer in a 38spl or 357case. With a standard primer I need 2.7 grains of powder.

BasMstr likes this.
  15. canebreaker

canebreaker Distinguished Poster

I got an invite to dig in a private berm. 2 shovels deep before I find bullets then the owner shows up. All she shoots is 5.56 and 7.62X39 factory ammo. Wasted day for me.

BasMstr likes this.
  16. mascott

mascott Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I loaded one(1) 38 special shotshell with 3.0 gr of hp-38 and 100gr of #7 shot with a thin cardboard wad between powder and shot and on top of shot. Sealed with fingernail polish(blue). I will admit I tried it from 15 feet away as that is about as close as I wish to come to a venomous snake, but it was very underwhelming. Report and kick was minimal and shot barely penetrated cardboard target(sorry, no pics). I have loaded another shell with 3.5gr of hp-38 and the same 100gr of #7 shot. Plan to shoot it a little later and maybe some pics. Will get closer to the target however. I really expect to have to load 5.0gr of powder however. We'll see.

17. mascott

OK, I shot it. Report and recoil was better. Stood about 10 feet away and all shot seemed to be in a decent area. Picture may not show up well as target was cardboard. I am going to step up to 4gr of hp-38 and as much shot will fit. IMG_0241.JPG

Also need to add this was shot out of a 1 7/8 barrel Smith.

18. turable.shot

turable.shot Distinguished Poster

Fresh Out Of the Oven, 223 Rem. 100 count.

Fresh Made.png

BasMstr, mascott and HotRod61 like this.
  19. mascott

20. turable.shot

turable.shot Distinguished Poster

Thanks,
    I was pleased with how they turned out.