Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1381 - 1400 of 1426 Posts

·
Registered
10,709 Posts
Have you ever heard of a smiley face 😀? An older man just schooled me and it had to do with a 38 super caliber and reloading...

Not to jump into your conversation, but no I have not. Have you ever heard of a bunny fart? 🐇💨
Lol, what the hell are y’all smoking?🤣

·
Registered
128 Posts
Do you anneal your brass before creating a new cartridge out of a different case? I would think that would help when sizing down. I have been Annealing my 308 brass by hand and I’m happy with results. I do it by hand with a torch. I have noticed when I do this and seat a bullet it goes in easier but I have also noticed my brass still has spring back and good neck tension. I’m getting that nice rainbow blue color on shoulder area. I’m low tech right now so I twirl it by hand and when I feel the heat coming to me I stop and let it cool back down. Now after I resize and tumble, you would never know I did it by looks because it cleans the rainbow color off and it looks like regular brass again. Anyone else do this? Is it worth it? My goal is to get many many firings out of my cases and have loose primer pockets before I toss em.

·
Registered
631 Posts
@Wayne6687 @BasMstr A bunny fart 🐇 💨 load is when subsonics are loaded with the goal of making them quite as a bunny fart. That is to the point of even giving up velocity well below transonic velocity. 😉

I've heard of people loading 38 Super as hot as 357 Sig and even to the point of blowing primers. 😱 Especially 38 Super owners South of the border that cannot own government issued calibers.

·
Registered
631 Posts
This is what I finished loading up now that I got a roll crimper. 🙄 Testing cork vs felt with the goal of 1215 fps. Will post results when I get a chance to chrono and pattern.

5 rounds of 2 1/4 inch short shells: Fiocchi hull, Fiocchi 616 primer, 23.0 grains of Alliant Unique, X12X gas seal wad slick, .185 in cork, .003 in mylar wrap with wad slick, 12 pellets .30 #1 Buck (1 oz), clear overshot disk, and roll crimped.

(Update): Average 1327 fps. Target at 50 ft.
Velocities: 1368, 1277, 1311, 1359, 1321.
I'll post the pictures when I can get on the laptop.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
5 rounds of 2 1/4 inch short shells: Fiocchi hull, Fiocchi 616 primer, 23.0 grains of Alliant Unique, X12X gas seal wad slick, .200 felt, .003 in mylar wrap with wad slick, 12 pellets .30 #1 Buck (1 oz), clear overshot disk, and roll crimped.
(Update): Average 1319. Target at 50 ft.
Velocities: 1248, 1380, 1355, 1313, 1297.

·
Registered
128 Posts
This is what I finished loading up now that I got a roll crimper. 🙄 Testing cork vs felt with the goal of 1215 fps. Will post results when I get a chance to chrono and pattern.

5 rounds of 2 1/4 inch short shells: Fiocchi hull, Fiocchi 616 primer, 23.0 grains of Alliant Unique, X12X gas seal wad slick, .185 in cork, .003 in mylar wrap with wad slick, 12 pellets .30 #1 Buck (1 1/8 oz), clear overshot disk, and roll crimped.

(Update): Average 1327 fps. Target at 50 ft.
Velocities: 1368, 1277, 1311, 1359, 1321.
I'll post the pictures when I can get on the laptop.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
5 rounds of 2 1/4 inch short shells: Fiocchi hull, Fiocchi 616 primer, 23.0 grains of Alliant Unique, X12X gas seal wad slick, .200 felt, .003 in mylar wrap with wad slick, 12 pellets .30 #1 Buck (1 1/8 oz), clear overshot disk, and roll crimped.
(Update): Average 1319. Target at 50 ft.
Velocities: 1248, 1380, 1355, 1313, 1297.
I won 550 on a raffle for a reloading page Friday and I was wondering about the mec sm82. That’s the only shotgun press they have. Is it a good press and is it worth reloading shotgun shells. I’ve stacked ammo deep over the years and reloading is just a hobby to me.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I won 550 on a raffle for a reloading page Friday and I was wondering about the mec sm82. That’s the only shotgun press they have. Is it a good press and is it worth reloading shotgun shells. I’ve stacked ammo deep over the years and reloading is just a hobby to me.
Western Field 550.... Nice! (y) MEC SizeMaster82 or any of the MEC shotshell reloaders are good.

Is it worth it? It depends on the person, what you're reloading, and why you're reloading. For me it's more about the mental exercise and joy of doing it. Second to that is being able to reload ammo that has disappeared from store shelves or is hard to find. It gives me many more options. For experimental loads I often use a Lee Load-All II or a roll crimp tool and drill press. It saves having to readjust my MEC for experimental loads. 😉

For most, 1 1/8 oz and 1 oz trap and skeet loads are not worth it anymore. Many of those guys are just buying the 100 round value pack at Walmart. Some are more picky or want a light recoiling load to meet their power factor, so they reload 3/4 or oz 7/8 oz 12 gauge loads.

Field loads, not much saving here.

Buckshot & Slugs, oh yes if you are shooting a lot! This is where the biggest saving is. Many are casting their own. (y)

Novelty and specialty loads, yes if you enjoy shooting them or cannot find them on local shelves. If you are just interested in shooting a few, War Wolf Ordnance loads good stuff. For Specialty hunting loads that don't use lead, it can be hard to find exactly what you want on shelves in Mississippi. Reloading, Roto Metals, Ballistic Products (BPI), and Precision Reloading can provide a solution for making your own. (y)

·
Registered
631 Posts

BPI Mica Wad Slick definitely does its job! I tried it on my last 10 test rounds and backed off on the charge from 23.5 gr to 23 gr of Unique. Velocity went from 1285 fps to 1327 fps. For those not family with BPI Mica Wad Slick, it is suppost to allow for easier loading, reduced friction, and increased velocities. (Thus less pressure and recoil.) It is however a little messy and gets everywhere.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
delete

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Is it worth it? It depends on the person, what you're reloading, and why you're reloading. For me it's more about the mental exercise and joy of doing it. Second to that is being able to reload ammo that has disappeared from store shelves or is hard to find. It gives me many more options. For experimental loads I often use a Lee Load-All II or a roll crimp tool and drill press. It saves having to readjust my MEC for experimental loads. 😉

For most, 1 1/8 oz and 1 oz trap and skeet loads are not worth it anymore. Many of those guys are just buying the 100 round value pack at Walmart. Some are more picky or want a light recoiling load to meet their power factor, so they reload 3/4 or oz 7/8 oz 12 gauge loads.

Field loads, not much saving here.

Buckshot & Slugs, oh yes if you are shooting a lot! This is where the biggest saving is. Many are casting their own.

Tim nailed it. For birdshot, not really worth it at this time. I am stocking stuff to load BS, but for now I hit WallyWorld every payday. Slugs and Buckshot? you bet it's worth it-at least to me. I started loading slugs and buckshot back in the mid 80's for 3 gun matches. Used to cast my own slugs and buy bags of buckshot.Because of working like I did for so many years I got away from casting. Now that I've finally put down roots again I'm getting set up for it again.Got all new equipment and about 1,800 lbs of lead so far and looking for a bunch more. Plan on spending the winter casting hard. To me, one of the best loaders a guy can get for slugs and buckshot is still the Lee Load all. I've loaded a mountain of lead on one and they just work well for those.

Reactions: oldguns and rigrat
1381 - 1400 of 1426 Posts