Mississippi Gun Owners banner

What do I need to do...

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Joe S. 
G
#1 ·
To own a handgun in MS? I'd like to buy one but I'm not a resident yet.

I am still gearing towards either:

Glock 17/19 9mm
S&W MP 9mm
SA XD 9mm

#4 ·
Risky to conceal carry without a permit (until you get your permit)... Yes. Risky just to have/own/shoot... probably not so much. Granted, you're not going to be able to walk in over at Gary's and buy one (so easily) but there is always a good selection of guns in the Tradewinds magazine as well as other "Classifieds" :lol4: listings. Those will be private sales with no paper work involved and a lot of the people selling those would probably not have an issue selling to you or at least to your "Mississippi counterpart".

#7 ·
moredes said:
Subsonix said:
To own?
You could always get a family member that lives here in MS to buy it and gift it to you.
That's illegal--it'd be in all actuality a straw purchase. Don't get caught or you'll never be able to buy a gun in a legal transaction through an FFL.
Nothing wrong with giving a family member a gift. I'm not talking about a straw purchase. I didn't say buy it from them, I said GIFT. Perfectly legal.

#8 ·
She doesn't live in a state, she lives in Scotland. I think the best solution is to buy it through your fiance. The gun would technically be his, but that would allow you the pleasure of using it whenever you're here, or around him. I'm sure he wouldn't mind shooting it either.

You know, there's not that much difference in .40 S&W vs. 9mm as far as felt recoil and price. Although the .40 is a better round, in my opinion. Are you sure you're dead set on 9mm?

#12 ·
I would not do anything to complicate your citizenship, if that is what one of the things you want. The first question is if the gun is for you (him in this case). I would be above board if it were my future wife, there may be a legal way to do it. I don't know. Be in a heck of a mess with you not being able to enter the country and you fiance not being able to leave.

#13 ·
Subsonix said:
moredes said:
Subsonix said:
To own?
You could always get a family member that lives here in MS to buy it and gift it to you.
That's illegal--it'd be in all actuality a straw purchase. Don't get caught or you'll never be able to buy a gun in a legal transaction through an FFL.
Nothing wrong with giving a family member a gift. I'm not talking about a straw purchase. I didn't say buy it from them, I said GIFT. Perfectly legal.
perfectly legal, buying for a gift is not the same as buy for to resale to someone that can't have it in the 1st place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.