Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've heard various answers to this question in person, but no two answers have been the same:

What should be considered a sufficient amount of ammunition per caliber to prepare for a worst case scenario?

Do not take into consideration the possibility of reloading, reloading supplies, etc. Simply, how many ready-to-go cartridges of each caliber would qualify as sufficient?

I realize many would naturally want to say that there is never a sufficient amount, but if pressed to answer...how much is enough per caliber?

Also consider shot shells in with your responses...how many shells per gauge is sufficient to have loaded up and ready to go?

Responses would be greatly appreciated :thanks:

God bless

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
10,568 Posts
To borrow from what one of the Hunt brothers said to the Congressional committee (holding hearings on the Hunt brothers' effort to corner the world silver market) when he was asked, "Mr. Hunt, just how much are you worth?"

He said (under oath), "Back in Texas we have a saying that any man who knows what he's worth ain't worth much."

So, I would say that any man who knows how much ammo he has, hasn't got enough.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I would say 3x what you can carry and still perform manuevers. This is probably WAY less than what most people will say. Have you read the book Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse. They had 300k rounds. 150k were .22rimfire, the rest were split up between .223 and .45. I have been trading and selling off guns to pair down my list of calibers as to not need as many different bullets, but now I think that may have been a mistake and am ordering lone wolf barrels for my Glocks so I can convert to another caliber if the need arises.

If the SHTF bullets will most likely also be a form of currency so the more the better.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I can't say what is the proper number, but I will say what I have done. I have 5 .357 mags ( one per family member plus one). And about 4000 rounds of .38/.357. I am looking to sell one .357 and get a .357 lever rifle.

.22 are cheap to get and tiny to keep.. so I have about 2000 of them, and 2 .22 rifles.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
If you know how much you have, you don't have enough. I have been loading rounds by the thousands now for a few months and when I fill up my giant ammo can I will be done. I think about 12k will fit in there, will I be able to carry it? No, but it will be on wheels haha. I plan on splitting it up into smaller ammo cans later. I am keeping my stock to only a few calibers, .308, .223, .40 and .22. .22 is ridiculously cheap so every trip to the store I pick up a few hundred. I have been loading .40 like a crazy man. .223 I have some but I need more, and .308 I don't have a lot but those aren't meant to be assault rifle rounds. It's not gonna be fun to move again haha.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These replies are great. Each one of you has definitely got it going on.

NRA guy --> this is what I've been thinking as well concerning my supply

DaddyQ --> I have not read Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse...but good Lord 300k rounds is an AMAZING stash. the .22 seems like it is the "survival" round (for hunting small game like squirrel, possum, small non-game birds). How many handgun calibers you thinkin is necessary?

pinetor --> great idea about getting each family member one of the same caliber. 357 packs quite a punch. roughly 1k per family member.

Brutus --> like I said with NRA guy, I've had a feeling you're right; Im thinkin I need at least 5k, so I guess I really need 10k. :blink:

4Runner --> This is exactly what I am trying to do at this point. I've narrowed my calibers down to a few and am tryin to start doubling/tripling up on arms per caliber. Excellent advice. 5k per caliber is where I am trying to get to now.

Lt. Dan --> sounds like you have the "benchmark" amount for an ammo supply. 12k = :10:

As of now I have around 3k per caliber (rifle rounds)...but by the sounds of it, this is not enough. I have around 500 shot shells per gauge (20 and 12). My handgun ammunition is substantially LACKING. I need to step it up with this supply.

These posts are quite motivating. It also seems like you guys have your main assault rifle round, main bolt action round, .22, and handgun round.

·
Super Moderator
9,481 Posts
me an pinetor think alike 38/357 has awesome potential.. I'm pretty sure 9,40, and 45 are going to be first to go..357 can take pretty much any game and some test where done using heat treated lino bullets to defeat soft lvlII armor. I have 2-3k loaded right now with the supplies to turn that into 12k in one day. My 22 I have a 20mm can full my 338 I got maybe 1k loaded which I feel is ample unless were talking zombies lol

·
Registered
446 Posts
Buy it cheap and stack it deep. I would think if you have to fire more than 30 rounds in any given situation, you are in seriously deep do-do. As to having a sufficient amount should your supply line close, I try to have at least 5k per caliber for the Fals and ARs, I have 500 rounds at any time for my favorite bolt gun and 2k per handgun caliber. 22LR gets it own designation and I probably have 30k in bulk packs in ammo cans. Were I able to afford it, I would have more. You didn't ask about magazines, but I have a minimum of 50 per FAL rifle and 30 for each AR. There are 3 FALS and 3 ARS that are good to go and several in various stages of completion.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I suppose this all depends on how you would define the "worst case?" I'd be okay with about 3k hand gun, 2-3k 556, 500 shotgun, and 500 bolt gun. My absolute minimum is the number in which I can pack out if I ever have to leave (plus family members').

The probability of something bad happening does seem to climb slightly higher, but the probability of ammo doubling in price again very soon is almost as certain as death and taxes. I'd define "sufficient" as a 40 year supply of ammo shooting 5-6k rounds per year. I'd be less inclined to buy reloading components with a 10% overage.

·
Registered
12,645 Posts
My stash? well, about 1400 rounds for the nagants (1100 or so surplus, 200ish of wolf and 75 or so of the brown bear 203 grains.. and a few rounds of winchester brass cased).. Roughly 1000 of .40, probably 200 .38 special and about 2000 22lr. Shotguns, well... think about 50 for the 410(found em in a ammo can, didnt know i had em) and should have roughly 300 of various loads for the 12gauges.

This is enough to last a while, especially the nagant ammo... possibly all ill ever need there unless i find a svt40 or psl.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rw said:
My stash? well, about 1400 rounds for the nagants (1100 or so surplus, 200ish of wolf and 75 or so of the brown bear 203 grains.. and a few rounds of winchester brass cased).. Roughly 1000 of .40, probably 200 .38 special and about 2000 22lr. Shotguns, well... think about 50 for the 410(found em in a ammo can, didnt know i had em) and should have roughly 300 of various loads for the 12gauges.

This is enough to last a while, especially the nagant ammo... possibly all ill ever need there unless i find a svt40 or psl.
those tokarev rifles are sure hard to find! and quite pricey for what they are...but man o man would a semi-auto 762x54r be hoss!

·
Waffennarr
8,865 Posts
Make it a regular payday purchase in addition to restocking what you shoot up. High volume(3 -10k) on .22 (good stuff for yourself, buy a bulk pack for barter, everytime it goes on sale). 2x - 3x what you imagine you need is the number I would use. Just remember you may need to have multiple "safe caches", don't put all your eggs in one basket.

·
Registered
12,645 Posts
Tree of Liberty said:
Rw said:

those tokarev rifles are sure hard to find! and quite pricey for what they are...but man o man would a semi-auto 762x54r be hoss!
I know, cant wait till i can get a psl. The svt would be nice but i dont even remember seeing one in person. Never know though, weird stuff tends to pop up at my favorite pawn shop. Im not far from getting my ffl and may go ahead and get my sot. If i do, then first thing im building is a gorunyov(sp?). I know that will eat some ammo. Cant imagine the fireball from a full auto 7.62x54... will be fun for sure.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I have right now glocks in .40 caliber, but I'm thinking that is the newest caliber and will therefore have the least amount of surplus ammo or ammo to be scrounged around for if SHTF. So I'm thinking about getting 9mm barrels from wolf to have in case I need them. Although I don't own a 9 any more I have at least 2k rounds of them laying around. As far as 40's around the same, but ordering 5k primers and an 8 pound jug on the group by here. I originally thought you would only need 1 pistol caliber and your own ammo to supply it, but what if you gotta beat feet? I am going to have a back up barrel to fit my glock in 9 so I can "find" ammo. It helps to have a gun that can interchange parts like that.

Battle rifles like several others here said 1 for each family member and right now only have 1k rounds per family member but all are reloadable not steel cased and I'm still trying to get more. .22's will be for trading or small game so have 5k or so. As long as you have the standard military calibers you'll be able to find ammo. So you should be good with .223 .308 and 30-06. and to a lesser extent 300win mag. I'm gonna leave 338 as still an exotic along with all the other 06 variants and 308 variants. I have some weathersby mags they will be for hunting but don't keep that much ammo for them. Handgun wise I'd say 1st a .45 then as a back up 9mm. There is tons of .45 ammo military surplus out there now and 9 is the current use caliber. I like the 40 best for me but think it will be hardest to find if SHTF. you can find 9's anywhere.
I am Really deficient in shotgun ammo. I have 1 case of birdshot and maybe 100 00buck. I'd like to have 1k 00 buck but still trying to get the handgun ammo squared away now.

You guys with the 38/357's are they all revolvers or any autos? Revolvers are nice and reliable but I really like having 15 40s or 18 9's or even 13 .45's on hand.

Also the mags for the battle rifles are a real important thing. I need more mags for rifles and pistols.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Good call on multiple stashes. How are yall preserving yours? ammo cans wrapped in plastic and buried or just put on a shelf? I have some I've left in the original sealed cases.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
[/quote]I know, cant wait till i can get a psl. The svt would be nice but i dont even remember seeing one in person. Never know though, weird stuff tends to pop up at my favorite pawn shop. Im not far from getting my ffl and may go ahead and get my sot. If i do, then first thing im building is a gorunyov(sp?). I know that will eat some ammo. Cant imagine the fireball from a full auto 7.62x54... will be fun for sure.[/quote]

get this...i was at gold n guns on highway 51 and i mentioned the PSL to them. Gary there tells me to hold on and goes to the back and brings back a PSL. i was like NO WAY. then he tells me it has not been sold but rather held in collateral. i asked him to inform me when and if it was going on sale....he then laughed at me and told me that it would not even make its way to the for sale rack. He said his son would come buy it before anyone would get a chance at it. I was excited briefly and then bummed. Boy did it look and feel sweet.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts