Mississippi Gun Owners banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Scharfschütze said:
Make it a regular payday purchase in addition to restocking what you shoot up. High volume(3 -10k) on .22 (good stuff for yourself, buy a bulk pack for barter, everytime it goes on sale). 2x - 3x what you imagine you need is the number I would use. Just remember you may need to have multiple "safe caches", don't put all your eggs in one basket.
i agree with DaddyQ ...excellent idea on the safe caches

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
MS45 said:
The probability of something bad happening does seem to climb slightly higher, but the probability of ammo doubling in price again very soon is almost as certain as death and taxes. I'd define "sufficient" as a 40 year supply of ammo shooting 5-6k rounds per year. I'd be less inclined to buy reloading components with a 10% overage.
...also excellent insight.

·
Registered
581 Posts
This is just my opinion. A person doesn't have to have a lot of ammunition for every caliber. I have a few guns in the safe that I may have one box of ammo for. For my main calibers that I would depend on in a worst case instance I think a bare minimum of 1K per caliber. I have 7.62 X39, and .223 in bulk and I'm well underway on 40 S&W and 38/357. Everybody should have a good supply of .22 stuff also. I have started buying 12ga #1 and #4 buckshot a little along as well as 9mm,308 and 17HMR. If everything continues to rock along at least when prices do continue to go up it won't be as expensive to shoot. I've also started collecting brass and bought a press and have started gathering reloading supplies. Recently I added a 38/357 rifle and have really started looking for a long gun that will shoot 9mm or even better 40S&W.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
I match long guns, shotguns and pistols and keep ammo cans for all of the above in ammo cans to move fast. Given more time, I'll have more weapons in different calibers and more cans of ammo. But given more time, I'll dig in. To answer your question, at a fast pace, 1K of the rifle of choice, 200 of the pistol of choice, 500 rounds of shotgun (buck and bird) and 1k rounds of .22.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
sidroski said:
I match long guns, shotguns and pistols and keep ammo cans for all of the above in ammo cans to move fast. Given more time, I'll have more weapons in different calibers and more cans of ammo. But given more time, I'll dig in. To answer your question, at a fast pace, 1K of the rifle of choice, 200 of the pistol of choice, 500 rounds of shotgun (buck and bird) and 1k rounds of .22.
is this amount what should be stored or available to transport?

·
Premium Member
21,644 Posts
The only stash of "ready to go ammo" is for 30.06 and .22. Bought the 30.06 when it was cheap (.18 - .26 per round) years ago and always picking up some addition .22s when I can. Guess everyone in the family could carry a Garand or 10/22!!

Now - my strategy has been self reliance when it comes to ammo. With the exception of the rimfires, I am able to cast boolits for every caliber I own. Been stocking up on lead, primers, and powder. Already have enough brass - I think!! Have 3 single stage presses, some duplicate dies (45ACP, 9mm, 38/357, .308, and .223) and scales just in case I need to relocate in a hurry. Got some lead, extra casting pots, moulds, and sizing dies in duplicate also.

·
Waffennarr
8,869 Posts
Oh yeah be sure to very VISIBLY label your storage cans / bags whatever with caliber, if you have to move quickly you don't want to have to open every can / box to find what you want.

·
Registered
178 Posts
So MS45 your looking at 200k rounds. What do you mean 10% overage?
200k rounds x 10% = 20k. 200k + 20k = 220K. I'll stop buying reloading components when I get to that number.... or when the insurance company threatens to discontinue coverage. :D

In a nutshell I try to buy it at the replenishment rate + 10% based on a heavy year of shooting. It's loosely based on the amount per caliber but doesn't necessarily always hold true. I buy more .45 ACP and rifle because I feel the effects of inflation more with those rounds. I also buy more 22lr because I do not shoot it AS much and it's cheap. It was 25%, but I've started clearing out all of my debt and stocking the pantry more so these days, so it's a little lower than normal right now.

That's not the amount that I keep loaded, just what I buy. It's following the same trajectory as gold once was, so as long as my affairs are in order nobody is sacrificing anything, I do not feel like it is a wasteful purchase. What I keep loaded is consolidated to a few calibers that everyone in the house uses.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
yeah. ammo seems to be increasing at a gradual pace every year.

the big difference between ammo and gold is that only the shooters notice the rise in ammo costs

·
Registered
116 Posts
g2072 said:
This is just my opinion. A person doesn't have to have a lot of ammunition for every caliber. I have a few guns in the safe that I may have one box of ammo for. For my main calibers that I would depend on in a worst case instance I think a bare minimum of 1K per caliber. I have 7.62 X39, and .223 in bulk and I'm well underway on 40 S&W and 38/357. Everybody should have a good supply of .22 stuff also. I have started buying 12ga #1 and #4 buckshot a little along as well as 9mm,308 and 17HMR. If everything continues to rock along at least when prices do continue to go up it won't be as expensive to shoot. I've also started collecting brass and bought a press and have started gathering reloading supplies. Recently I added a 38/357 rifle and have really started looking for a long gun that will shoot 9mm or even better 40S&W.
check on a keltec sub 2000. you can get it in 9mm or 40 cal. the gun folds to carry it alos takes glock mags

·
Registered
116 Posts
g2072 said:
if you need more 9mm brass i have 3800 that is cleaned and tumbled will take 60 dollars.228 313 3922

·
Registered
298 Posts
OK, Lets think. Why......and WHY....Would you need 2000 plus rounds of .40, 9mm, 45 ect. Unless you have a Carbine rifle that takes these callibers, why would you need that many rounds for pistols. Wars are not fought with pistols, battles are not fought with pistols. They are fought with rifles. Pistols are for personal defence and last resorts when your rifle has failed or is not avialable. Not for fireing 1000's of round from. Just my opinion, i want 223 and 308 vs 1000's of .40 and 9 mm. If someone thinks different or has a rational idea that differs with mine please do share.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
crackshotAR15 said:
OK, Lets think. Why......and WHY....Would you need 2000 plus rounds of .40, 9mm, 45 ect. Unless you have a Carbine rifle that takes these callibers, why would you need that many rounds for pistols. Wars are not fought with pistols, battles are not fought with pistols. They are fought with rifles. Pistols are for personal defence and last resorts when your rifle has failed or is not avialable. Not for fireing 1000's of round from. Just my opinion, i want 223 and 308 vs 1000's of .40 and 9 mm. If someone thinks different or has a rational idea that differs with mine please do share.
It depends on what and where you are. In town, I would rather have a handgun with a can. Woods and open land, rifle with a can. I am going nuts with .40 and I won't stop until I can't lift my huge ammo can. But now that I got on the .45 wagon again I need to start with the .45 stock. I think I will stop with the .40 for now and fill the rest of the can with .45. I like my handguns, they are cheaper to shoot and the wife can easily shoot one as well. But don't get me wrong, rifles will win a war.

·
Waffennarr
8,869 Posts
crackshotAR15 said:
I second that. Handguns are a secondary weapon. 500-1,000 rds in your handgun caliber is sufficient to keep on hand (that means resupply what you shoot up, rotate stock remember FIFO- first in first out) and also consider this: what calibers would you be able to "scavenge" from military /occupiers/ "enemy" (whoever or whatever the definition of that word might be)? I don't think you will be able to find or scavenge ammo in, say, .38spl or .357, or .380 or 9x18 ('makarov') for example - no military /government agency uses these calibers so if civilian and commercial sources dry up where will you find these calibers? Even if you reload, if the civilian and commercial sources for mfg. ammo are gone, the sources for DYI ammunition will also dry up.
Therefore my philosophy as to what calibers to stock / have: those which are common to government agencies, since they will be plentiful, both commercially and from "opportunities" which may present themselves. Quantities: well, what can you reasonably carry and / or load in your main vehicle or walk with? MY :2c:

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Tree of Liberty said:
sidroski said:
is this amount what should be stored or available to transport?
That is the skinniest I'd leave home with. Staying put, I'm more about having as many weapons in different calibers or guages. Much more ammo as most of us have. I buy 38's and ammo to barter with liberals who decided they were conservative when the SHTF. Wouldn't barter near my home and would bring a brother (brother as in both of us having the same mom and dad) to sit off a couple hundred yards to "cover" me. Having multiple calibers and guages of firearms gives you more to barter for or scavenge (breaking and entering and stealing are such ugly words).

·
Registered
116 Posts
9mmlong gun

g2072 said:
I just got a keltec sub 2000. it is in 9 mm.I also have one in 40 cal. they are nice guns. they also fold for transport

21 - 40 of 55 Posts