What is going on with the MHP on permit renewals?

Discussion in 'Mississippi Concealed Carry' started by 45flattop, Sep 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 45flattop

45flattop Distinguished Poster

Jackson
    I just received my renewal packet a little over 2 months before my existing license
    expires and NOWHERE in the packet is there any mention of the supposed over age
    65 discounted permit fee but it appears that all the fees have significantly gone way
    up across the board. So I went down to the MHP headquarters on Woodrow Wilson
    to ask and the know nothing idiot I talked to claimed that no such discount ever
    existed. Realizing I was facing a hopeless case of DA bureaucracy at its best
    and being short on time, I simply left and plan to return to talk to someone there
    in a supervisory position when I have a day totally free to sit interminably to get
    an audience with my whoever I suspect will regard me as their inferior but will
    hopefully get this cleared up for me, I know due to recent events that I actually
    no longer need the permit to carry but I like to have it for when I purchase
    a firearm through an FFL instead of a person to person transaction.

Anyone else gotten such a deficient packet lately when it was their renewal
    date? I'm guessing that some nitwit in the MHP assembled the packet
    erroneously and just sent it out without verification that it was a current
    and complete packet.

4x4moses likes this.
  2. bubbat

bubbat Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.

Clinton

3. NRA_guy and 4x4moses like this.
  4. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Says $52 in the link , but I think they are adding a finger print fee of $32 to the 20 making it $52.

5. TwangBanger

TwangBanger Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

If you do end up having to talk to someone in a supervisory position, I'd start with Jeff Nester.

Jeff Nester
    Firearms Permit Unit
    1900 East Woodrow Wilson Drive
    Jackson, MS 39216
    Phone (601) 987-1575
    Fax (601) 987-1547
    Email jnester@dps.ms.gov

4x4moses and LeansVeryRight2016 like this.
  6. bubbat

Clinton
    Yeap they do the same with getting regular permit for first time, list total $112, $80 permit +$32 fingerprint fee

rigrat likes this.
  7. You are correct, Rig.

In H.B. 786/Mississippi Criminal Code, Section 45-9-101 amended, Section 2 (12) (a) (iii) -- which is lines 311-313 -- it states the renewal fee for those MS residents 65+ is $20.00 ... plus the costs for processing the fingerprints 12(a)(1).

$20.00 (renewal fee for residents 65+) + $32.00 (fingerprint processing costs) = $52.00 total.

http://www.dps.state.ms.us/wp-content/uploads/45-9-101-ammended-HB786.pdf

rigrat likes this.
  8. 94LEVERFAN

94LEVERFAN Distinguished Poster

If I'm gonna pay to get fingerprinted, guess what? Some sob is gonna do their job and fingerprint me. And guess what. They say FPs don't change. Mine did a few yrs ago when I shortened my thumb up on a table saw.

wllmkttrll, Jarhead5811 and Hoot G like this.
  9. Macgolf

Macgolf Active Member

10. bubbat

Clinton
    I got 2 thumbs like that...LOL

Jarhead5811 and 94LEVERFAN like this.
  11. Macgolf

Macgolf Active Member

12. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Distinguished Poster

Last time I went in to the MHP in Jackson to renew my CCW permit, the guy tried 3 or 4 times to get my finger prints and couldn't get them.

He finally gave up.

He said that it is not unusual for an old guy's fingers to be so smooth that they cannot get useable finger prints.

I made a joke (which he didn't think was very funny) about old men being able to shoot somebody without law enforcement guys being able to get their prints off the gun.

Cliff731, Mesquite, Blondie70 and 2 others like this.
  13. rsnapper

rsnapper Distinguished Poster

Dang, Bubba. Did you do both thumbs at the same time, or did you not learn from the first one?

94LEVERFAN and wllmkttrll like this.
  14. tgun6542

tgun6542 Distinguished Poster

That reminds me of a old guy I worked with at sawmill. He cut a finger off. Few days later the safety committee (myself and 3 women) was doing a investigation. I asked what happened. He said I was doing this and this, then cut another finger off.

Blondie70 and Jarhead5811 like this.
  15. Xd357

Xd357 Moderator Staff Member

Bolton
    Don’t guess he learned very much.

Blondie70 and rigrat like this.
  16. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Distinguished Poster

I went to the place on Woodrow Wilson and renewed mine yesterday. See attached.

$20 for over 65 renewal.
    $32 for fingerprinting
    ---------------------------
    $52 total

Everybody was nice and friendly.

I had to sit about 45 minutes with all of the driver's license renewal folks.

Capturing my finger prints took maybe 10 minutes before the man got 3 or 4 good ones and kind of gave up on the rest.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Blondie70 likes this.