Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The short version:

I was shooting a rifle with an older Nikon on it, and the scope died. (Zoom ring wouldn't change power anymore).

I sent the scope back to Nikon, and they told me they could not repair it or send me an identical replacement, so they would give me a credit to purchase a new scope from their website. :) Say what you want about the quality of their scopes, their warranty is excellent.

https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/index.page

Now, of course, I am like a kid in a candy store with his allowance burning a hole in his pocket.

I've looked at my firearms collection, and come to the conclusion that I am in the market for 2 kinds of scope:

1. A legit long-range scope, of the sort used for PRS and similar competitions.
2. A LPVO for carbine run&gun stuff. Multigun matches and such.

Long range scopes:
Looking at what they have for sale, I see that Nikon does indeed make FFP long-range scopes, but they would all require me to pony up significant extra cash.

Also, Nikon scopes don't seem to be all that popular in the competitive world, for some reason.

Best Tactical Scopes & Reticles – What The Pros Use

I'm not planning on getting into serious competition, but I do want to build an entry-level long range shooting rig, and use it to practice some entry-level skills like ranging unknown-distance targets, holdover, and compensating for wind. I definitely want some kind of MOA/MRAD/Mil-dot reticle and clicky target turrets for that.

LPVO (Low Power Variable Optic):

The Nikon Black Force 1000 has all (or most - no FFP) the bells and whistles. I'm leaning toward getting this, but I don't know anyone who has one, or first-hand experience with one.
BLACK FORCE1000 from Nikon

I've shot a few 3-gun and Multigun matches, Usually using an AR with some kind of red-dot. Or sometimes, a Walmart 3x9 hunting scope (which is not ideal for that sort of shooting, but you can make it work if you shoot with both eyes open).

Nikon has some other LPVOs, but this is the only one with a "horseshoe" reticle, and I think I like the concept.

Anyhow, does anybody have experience with recent Nikon scopes? Anything to avoid? Do you wish you had bought a Vortex or a Leopold instead?

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,936 Posts
I have no personal experience with these. I have always wanted to get one and try it. For the price difference and my casual shooting and now and again hunting I'd try the Nikon before the other two, which I think are kinda over priced.

·
Registered
12,787 Posts
I have multiple vortex and nikon, I do not really have a preference between them. Mostly i buy whatever of the two i can get the best price on. I have not called nikon customer service but have called vortex before to price a mount, they sent the mount free along with a tshirt. Vortex will even replace burned items of theirs, if they can make out the logo they replace it. They are the only company i know of in the industry that can top rugers level of service.

·
Rational Anarchist
14,285 Posts
I have a Vortex StrikeEagle 1-6x and like it more than the multiple 3.5-10s and 3-9s I have. Most of the time they don’t focus as close as I’d like.

So, for my uses, I’d probably go with a low powered variable.

BTW, I also find Vortex and Nikon to be roughly equal in the best bang for my buck category.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
I have a Vortex StrikeEagle 1-6x and like it more than the multiple 3.5-10s and 3-9s I have. Most of the time they don’t focus as close as I’d like.

So, for my uses, I’d probably go with a low powered variable.

BTW, I also find Vortex and Nikon to be roughly equal in the best bang for my buck category.
Well if you're hunting and just using holdover I would probably agree that in the same price range the glass and light gathering in both are pretty darn close. BUT ....... If you're planning a terrorist attack and plan on shooting high value targets from a tall building etc; where you'll be dialing in your dope; the tracking on the vortexes seems to be better to me.

EDIT: Just as an example; at distance the Nikons will track to minute of Stokes where as the Vortex holds minute of Clinton.

EDIT2: :lol6::lol6:

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,936 Posts
Well if you're hunting and just using holdover I would probably agree that in the same price range the glass and light gathering in both are pretty darn close. BUT ....... If you're planning a terrorist attack and plan on shooting high value targets from a tall building etc; where you'll be dialing in your dope; the tracking on the vortexes seems to be better to me.

EDIT: Just as an example; at distance the Nikons will track to minute of Stokes where as the Vortex holds minute of Clinton.

Technically that would make the Nikon better since Hillary is as big as a whale.

Reactions: squirt14

·
Rational Anarchist
14,285 Posts

Being a Canon camera guy I do tend to prefer the Vortex over the Nikon, but that’s brand bias.

Not that I’d consider John Wick’s line of work, but I’d have to guess that the heart lung area would be roughly similar sized on any human being, in spite of the excessive bulk on the exterior. So, a hit on a Stokes sized target doesn’t necessarily equal a kill. ;)

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
My point exactly. What I was trying to illustrate is that depending on how you use your scope; glass and light gathering aren't the only things to consider. In some uses tracking can be more important. It is the reason I own a couple of SWFA scopes (best tracking in there price range, and good, while not great glass).

Of course something not mentioned yet; the ability to hold zero is always the most important thing then glass and tracking which can change order of importance depending on use. My personal experience has been that Vortex has better tracking (and return to zero) than Nikon.

Reactions: Jarhead5811

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really should have posted this in the Optics and Accessories category, but somehow I didn't know there was one.

I appreciate the comparison to other brands, but I kind of have to buy some kind of Nikon product with this credit. The first thing I am going to do is wait a few weeks to see if I can take advantage of a Black Friday deal.

As it is, I am leaning toward buying an LPVO this time. I already have (and like) one of their BDC hunting scopes, and Nikon seems to be behind the other manufacturers in Long Range FFP scopes.

If I am feeling really, really patient - I might hang on until February/March to see if they announce anything interesting at SHOT Show.

For those of you who have 1-4x LPVO scopes (especially Nikon ones) - How would you compare them to a 3x9x40 or 3x9x50 in low-light performance? (i.e. deer hunting at dawn or dusk). This won't be my primary use for the scope, but I probably will try to take a deer or two with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts