close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What not to do - warning shots in Jackson

Discussion in 'Press Talk' started by Hrdnox, May 2, 2016.

1. Hrdnox

Hrdnox Distinguished Poster

Don't know if you saw the report or not, but last week in Jackson a guys is in his car and a crazed black man comes up with an iron pipe and starts breaking the glass out of his car. Not sure if he got past the windshield or not, but the man gets out of his car with his handgun and tries to run the guy off. When the guy refuses to leave, the guy shoots a warning shot into the air. Watching the video, it was painfully apparent this guy really wasn't prepared to use his weapon and now it sounds like he's in a world of trouble and the black guy slipped away. I've always felt you don't even draw your gun, unless you're prepared to use it. In the video, the black guy with the 4' long pipe was advancing towards the man with the gun the whole time. All I have to say is the guy would have taken his last breath at that moment and I'd have plead self defense all the way. I don't think one of these thugs really wants to give me that good an excuse to shoot him right between the eyes, because I know I'm plenty capable.

Seems a shame to arm yourself and wind up too apprehensive to use it. I really don't ever want to have to use deadly force on another human being, but please don't dare me like that. I'm sure I'd catch a little trouble, too, but one of us will be dead and I'll come out OK, as well. I'd just hate that the 3' shot was so easy and wasn't a little more challenging.

steve2112, Canman, 94LEVERFAN and 5 others like this.
  2. Sum Gy Custom Firearms

Sum Gy Custom Firearms Distinguished Poster

My pop trained me from a little boy never draw a gun less you have to and if you do draw it make damn sure the last thing the guy sees on the face of this earth is a smoking barrel!!!!

3. TippersDad

TippersDad Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

In a SD situation, I don't want "challenging", I want dead!

4. Vick

Vick Distinguished Poster

Unfortunately, this is often the case with folks using a gun for defense, especially the first time. When I had my shop I used to give a little speech whenever anyone said they wanted to buy a gun for defense...it went into safe handling, practice, and making sure they were mentally prepared to kill another human if threatened. I lost a few sales with this speech when it got to the point of killing someone...if they said they would just wound an assailant, I always told them that even expert shooters often couldn't place their shots in an emergency situation and that they should plan on shooting at the largest mass, the torso, and to be sure they could live with that. A person who is not sure about his ability to kill some one shouldn't carry a gun for defense.

I have had people looking down the barrel of my gun three times and, fortunately, each time they did exactly what I told them to do, preventing me from firing. Had they not done as instructed I would undoubtedly have put two rounds center mass. I guess they thought I was serious...I was.

5. Caleb C

Caleb C Distinguished Poster

Lake, MS
    It seems to me that it would be more effective and less of a legal challenge to just run that turkey over. It's hard to miss with a 4k pound lethal weapon. Your insurance agent will even handle the damages for you. One less violent crackhead on the streets and the Yoda gets a new paint job. Everybody wins!

6. GunnyGene

GunnyGene Distinguished Poster

I haven't known many people who were sure about their ability to kill another person. And every one of them was a Marine I served with.

7. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Distinguished Poster

"Your honor, my client was just crossing the street and Mr. _______ just ran over him. Now he won't be able to go to seminary and become a preacher which was his lifetime dream. He'll be confined to a wheelchair the rest of his life. He will not even be able to have sex with his girlfriend, who he was going to marry next month, and now he will never have a son to carry on his name.

We are asking for a reasonable amount of damages: $5,000,000 for my client and $2,000,000 for his girlfriend."

8. Hrdnox

I've always been sure...................especially when it's them or me.

9. Caleb C

Lake, MS
    I didn't say anything about stopping to exchange insurance information. :)

10. Dr. Benway

Dr. Benway Distinguished Poster

His entire body posture showed fear and indecisiveness. That's the first problem. The 2nd problem is he wasn't prepared to shoot. Personally I believe the threat of someone using a 4 foot pipe on me is enough to justify deadly force. It's a weapon capable of causing traumatic brain injuries, broken bones or death. There comes a point you have to turn fear into rage and fight decisively.

11. senilking

senilking Distinguished Poster

Pontotoc
    Got a link for the video?

12. O.S.O.K.

O.S.O.K. Distinguished Poster

I saw the vid on FB. He had the right to drop the aggressor but failed to do so. Never fire a warning shot - goes without saying here.

As to being capable of killing another human being, I agree that this must be addressed before you carry the gun or even put in on your nightstand.

I feel confident that I can pull the trigger but I also know that my heart will be racing and adrenaline pumping. Nobody wants to kill another person - even miscreants but it has to be done when they attack - without hesitation. So practice that way - visualize the guy with the pipe coming at you as you pull the trigger on the targets. Do this every time you practice and it very well may save your life.

13. 45flattop

45flattop Distinguished Poster

Jackson
    As the overstuffed buffoon that he has always been and remains, our favorite
    walking joke, Kenny Stokes wants to pass a city ordnance making it illegal to
    discharge a firearm in the Jackson city limits!! I wonder what that moron thinks
    you can do if you're defending yourself from assault; although I wouldn't put his
    motivation past a back door way to try to outlaw firearm possession by law
    abiding citizens to make victimizing them by his constituent thugs easier.

14. MrGoodtime

MrGoodtime Distinguished Poster

Back up and run over him again, pay for him once.

15. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Distinguished Poster

Thanks.

Bad video but it clearly shows what transpired.

What was the guy shooting? Must have been a .380 or .22? Or is he just a really bad shot?

Anybody know what started the confrontation?

16. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus
    I learned this way back before I even started paramedic school. Fight or flight is the body's response to danger. Back in 1988 I learned the hard way on the subway in Brooklyn that the time for me to be fighting is when the other guy is talking sh@t. If you're gonna do it, then do it. Do unto others before they do unto you.

22lrfan, MrGoodtime, fordpkup and 3 others like this.
  17. Hrdnox

That's what my Dad taught me Phillip. He retired from the Army and I feel certain that's where his idea came from. I remember him saying to trust your senses and when you feel things are going to escalate, jump in with both feet, before your opponent even realizes what's about to happen. Seems to work surprisingly well.

Another thing I've found is most mouthy folks really didn't want to fight in the first place and always wonder why you kicked the crap out of them. It's the quiet ones you have to watch out for. I've found they'll sucker punch your lights out, if you're not paying good attention. Sneaky little Buggers.

18. Caleb C

Lake, MS
    Humans are a strange species. Some of us will not even fight to save our own lives. The only reason the driver isn't dead is because the attacker didn't want to kill him.

I wonder how much of his hesitance was caused by the recent rash of urban democrats rioting when justice is served and elected officials having the tendency to side with aggressors rather than with victims. May be he was concerned about getting charged with a hate crime.

22lrfan, maxhush, Hrdnox and 2 others like this.