Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been selling a few things lately which has gotten me to thinking about how gun prices have been changing in the last few years. Here are a few trends that I've noticed. Feel free to add your own or make fun of me for not knowing what I'm talking about.

ARs - No doubt that the AR-15 market is as low as it's ever been or ever will be. The AR-10 and pistol caliber AR is trending down, and I don't think it's quite hit the bottom yet. Not complaining about that at all. It is interesting that prices on similar rifles such as the SCAR, BREN, etc. seem to be holding steady. I haven't really been tracking them as much, though.

AKs - So I'll go ahead and admit that I don't have any AKs because I straight up missed the good old days of getting the Russian imports at decent prices. I've been keeping an eye on the prices somewhat in case a deal pops up that I can't resist but I still don't know as much as I'd like about them. Plus there are so many options available. Prices on the Russian stuff are steadily increasing because of the lack of supply. The usual US made/assembled rifles seem to be holding steady. I've been keeping my eyes on the Romanian stuff because I think they are the current best-bang-for-the-buck. Prices on those are creeping down, but not as quickly as I'd hoped.

Swiss / Swede milsurps - The prices on the K31s, m96s, etc. seem to be jumping up fairly quickly now. I think people are starting to realize how nice these rifles are for the money. I think the rise in the popularity of the 6.5mm is helping out the m96s, too. I got several of these when a large batch came in several years for $300-$400, and I think I could get at least $500 for them now to the right person.

Mosins & SKSs - Everyone knows that these were as cheap as anything back in the day and that those days are over. However, after that initial price jump, these don't seem to have increased in value much over the past few years. Mosins have hovered in that $200-$300 range and SKSs have been in the $300-$450 range.

Polymer pistols - This is your Glocks, M&Ps, you name it. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the prices of these have been trending down. There seems to be a lot of police trade-ins coming in, and the manufacturers are coming out with newer models quicker which is dropping prices at least on older models. I think several of the manufacturers got caught up in the Hilary stockpiling and eventually had to flood the market and offer rebates to clear their inventory. All of these reasons make me think these prices are dropping, but I don't usually buy new guns (love some trade-ins!) so I could be wrong.

Other milsurps - I can't keep track of everything so these are just some general feelings that I have that probably aren't based on anything. I think all milsurps are increasing at least slightly. I believe the cheap cost of ARs has gotten more folks into guns, and now those new gun enthusiasts are starting to expand their collections meaning less milsurp to go around. US milsurps are going up the quickest. Let's face it. More gun owners here than anywhere else and we like our US stuff! German stuff seems like it's always been expensive so I don't know if its increasing or not. British stuff doesn't seem to be increasing all that much. Mausers in general seem to be increasing especially the nicer ones like the Persians.

Ok.. so I could probably think of some more to talk about but this is quite the wall of text already. Interested to hear your thoughts! What guns are the best values to be getting now?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Definitely milsurps are starting to go up but some like the mausers are already high enough. The German k98s (if you can get lucky enough to find one here it seems) are astronomically high despite the large number of them in the country (same with Garands, M1 carbines, and 1911s). Japanese firearms are beginning to climb but are still fairly reasonable pricewise compared to most other milsurps. Enfields are still about where they have been here for the past couple of years (about $300 to $350 for a good No4 Mk1, double that for a good pre ww2 No1 Mk3, about $350- $400 for a ww2 and post ww2 No1 Mk3) but they aren't dropping in price, which is a good thing. Swedes are rising due to their popularity with target shooters. French stuff, though very hard to find here, is also beginning to rise a bit since the 100th anniversary of ww1.

·
NotACop....
272 Posts
What I've noticed is modern type stuff has gone down such as your Glocks AR-15 Etc. Surplus and classic stuff seems to be going up. I think it's a generation thing. A lot more young people are getting involved in firearms and that includes people that are kind of middle of the road politically and a few even on the left and like most new young people they like trendy stuff. The market is kind of flooded with these new things.

·
Premium Member
Let's go shoot some, we dont want to wound anything.
6,886 Posts
A lawyer once told me; you see the weather outside, it changes from day to day, so do women. And trends ebb and flow, people get afraid that the government is going to get your gun, and you can,t buy 22 ammo for 2-3 years.
Buy low, sale high, or just keep buying. Now would be a good time to buy ARs because eventually they will surely go up.

Reactions: DC7
1 - 8 of 8 Posts