Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brownells has Rem 700 actions on sale and barrels on sale. If you were to build one what caliber would you build? I have no interest in the magnum calibers, short ones or long ones. I tend to prefer short action and will probably put whatever I build in a boyds or old used 700 stock. I don't need another gun but thought it would be fun since the last one I built was a 308 at Quantico way back in 1984.

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
22,743 Posts
That’s just a picture for me.

Reactions: Xd357

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Sorry

·
Registered
11,774 Posts
For a SA its hard to go wrong with a 308. If you wanted something different then 338federal or a 257roberts.

For LA 35 whelen does sound appealing, so does a 280 or a 25-06.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I built a Savage 110 LA last summer in 6mm CM it turned out nice, if I were to build another it would be a 280AI and 2nd choice 257 Robert AI.

·
I could only pick one, extra money, or guns.
4,735 Posts
Build a bolt action machine gun, chambered in 5.56. If you cant do that I suppose a .308 is also a fine and staple choice.

·
Registered
9,314 Posts
$550???

can’t you buy a complete Rem 700 for that?

I would like a 16” Rem 700 in 358 Winchester with iron sights, a 1-6 or 1-8 x24 or 1.5-8 or 2-8x32 in a fiberglass camo stock. But I would be more inclined to buy an older rough 308 and send it off to JES Reboring then add a Timney trigger.

Seriously, why wouldn’t you come out ahead to start with this?

·
Administrator
13,161 Posts
$550???

can’t you buy a complete Rem 700 for that?

I would like a 16” Rem 700 in 358 Winchester with iron sights, a 1-6 or 1-8 x24 or 1.5-8 or 2-8x32 in a fiberglass camo stock. But I would be more inclined to buy an older rough 308 and send it off to JES Reboring then add a Timney trigger.

Seriously, why wouldn’t you come out ahead to start with this?
This is what I thought also. The OP said “on sale” I didn’t think $550 was on sale.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My opinion is worth exactly what you paid for..

If I were to build a new rifle the last action that I would use is a factory Remington action unless I could get it for under $200.

There are several custom/semi-custom actions available that you can buy pre-fit barrels for (no need for a gunsmith to chamber or using barrel nuts) - that cost in the $500 range.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
My opinion is worth exactly what you paid for..

If I were to build a new rifle the last action that I would use is a factory Remington action unless I could get it for under $200.

There are several custom/semi-custom actions available that you can buy pre-fit barrels for (no need for a gunsmith to chamber or using barrel nuts) - that cost in the $500 range.
Prefit barrels make gunsmithing less machinist and more engine builder. I’m a huge fan of prefit. There are Remington prefit barrels but you still have an action and bolt that may require truing. The good news is actions sold as actions tend have tighter tolerances than an adl grade 700. Most manufactures claim MOA on their cheapest options but that’s under optimal conditions and Sub MOA with lousy conditions is what you shoot for with custom built rifles and ragged holes once you develop tailored loads.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I looked further into it and for the price they are asking, I will just just keep looking for an old one that needs some luving.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I looked further into it and for the price they are asking, I will just just keep looking for an old one that needs some luving.
Could you be pried away from the m40/m24 platform? Or the 700 just your jam. Savage uses floating bolt head and prefit barrels. You can get a truer shooting gun without a lot of machining. In the hands of an artisan the 700 design is the strongest and truest way to go but gunsmiths got to eat so it’s expensive.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts