Mississippi Gun Owners banner

What's the matter with .40?

Tags
.40 40cal
12K views 137 replies 44 participants last post by  brandonmacd1 
#1 ·
After reading some of the posts here on MSGO especially this one Picked up a P365... I decided to take the plunge and buy a Sig P365 (thanks @Jarhead5811 and @TheGreatGonzo and all you other pro P365 guys). I say that sincerely, I like the little gun a lot more than the G43 it replaces. My only issue was my trade, I know, what some of you will say, I should have sold it privately here in the classifieds I could've gotten more, and you're right. But, I got caught up in the moment and didn't want to wait. I decided to trade in my Beretta PX4 Storm in .40 and there's the problem. Everyone said "too bad it's a .40", " if only it were 9mm" and "when the FBI went to 9mm no one wanted the .40". I don't understand! I know I never based my gun choice on what the FBI, Police, or any other LE agency was using, I based it on what I needed the gun for or what I wanted the gun to do. Anyway, here's my take away, if you're not a caliber snob this must be a good time to buy a .40. And as far as .40 in general, I like the round, and still own a few that use it, I also own .380, .45 and 9mm guns, again for what I want the gun to do not because it's the "caliber of whoever". I just wish people were smarter and realized that most LEO and Military use what they're told to use and don't have a choice.

#2 ·
There’s just no real reason for .40 anymore. It’s a dying caliber.

Ammo is more expensive than 9, not significantly more effective, slightly lower capacity, snappier recoil, just not as enjoyable to shoot in general.

It will always have a following, just like .45 colt and .44 special. But i doubt it’ll ever see the popularity it had up until a few years ago. Now is definitely the time to buy a used one if you’re in the market though. Ammo prices will likely trend upwards in the future if the popularity remains low.

#4 ·
When the 9mm crowd started pushing the "no difference in effectiveness" campaign which may or may not have been based on the FBI findings (that justified their switch) the 40 began its slow death. But try to keep in mind the 40 was a breach birth pretty much doomed from the start.

All started following the Miami Massacre back in '86. The FBI went shopping for a no compromise round that could be fired from a semi-auto pistol. Enter the 10mm; only problem is they never really considered that many agents may not be able to control it. Qualifying scores took a plunge and having to find a solution the FBI 10mm lite was born. Soon after S&W came to the party and said might as well shorten the round and it will fit more frames / shooters hands. Low and behold the 40 S&W was born. Breach birth as it were. Fast forward 30 years and the FBI starts thinking about how much money they can save and another study is soon underway. This one says no significant advantage of 40 over 9mm (no mention of 10mm here, it no longer exists as far as the FBI is concerned). Since the FBI has such a good track record with these ballistic studies, everyone believes them of course and we are pretty much up to date. 9mm is the promised round; 40 sucks because the FBI doesn't love it anymore and 10mm is too difficult for normal humans to shoot. Police agencies all over the US follow the FBIs lead which only further proves to all of us that the 40 must suck and next thing you know everyone is on the 9mm bandwagon.

Now I know this is heresy and will lead to my CCW being revoked; but if you've ever read any of Evan Marshall's statistics on One Shot Stops, you'll find that 40 S&W is considerably more effective than 9mm and still more effective than 9mm+P+ which; is NOT cheaper than 40 S&W which always seems to be the 9mm reply. But then what does he know; he's only been collecting data on the subject since the 70's.

#5 ·
When the 9mm crowd started pushing the "no difference in effectiveness" campaign which may or may not have been based on the FBI findings (that justified their switch) the 40 began its slow death. But try to keep in mind the 40 was a breach birth pretty much doomed from the start.

All started following the Miami Massacre back in '86. The FBI went shopping for a no compromise round that could be fired from a semi-auto pistol. Enter the 10mm; only problem is they never really considered that many agents may not be able to control it. Qualifying scores took a plunge and having to find a solution the FBI 10mm lite was born. Soon after S&W came to the party and said might as well shorten the round and it will fit more frames / shooters hands. Low and behold the 40 S&W was born. Breach birth as it were. Fast forward 30 years and the FBI starts thinking about how much money they can save and another study is soon underway. This one says no significant advantage of 40 over 9mm (no mention of 10mm here, it no longer exists as far as the FBI is concerned). Since the FBI has such a good track record with these ballistic studies, everyone believes them of course and we are pretty much up to date. 9mm is the promised round; 40 sucks because the FBI doesn't love it anymore and 10mm is too difficult for normal humans to shoot. Police agencies all over the US follow the FBIs lead which only further proves to all of us that the 40 must suck and next thing you know everyone is on the 9mm bandwagon.

Now I know this is heresy and will lead to my CCW being revoked; but if you've ever read any of Evan Marshall's statistics on One Shot Stops, you'll find that 40 S&W is considerably more effective than 9mm and still more effective than 9mm+P+ which; is NOT cheaper than 40 S&W which always seems to be the 9mm reply. But then what does he know; he's only been collecting data on the subject since the 70's.
One thing about the effectiveness argument that makes me laugh is yes bullet technology has improved, so 9mms are significantly better than they were 20 years ago, but it’s not like that same technology hasn’t been applied across the board.

Personally, I just never shot a .40 that I liked. If I want a beefier round, I’d rather have a .45 or preferably a 10mm.

#6 ·
There is nothing inherently wrong with the .40 S&W...it is powerful enough to do it's job and large enough to make us "big-bore" lovers more comfortable with it. Its main problem stems from it's tendency to make Glocks come apart at the seams a few years ago...I guess they solved that problem, but .40 S&W Glocks got very hard to sell and the .40 S&W round quickly lost popularity. I had one (not a Glock) for a while and liked it, but not enough to replace my .44 Specials or my 1911 .45's.

#10 · (Edited)
Problem Glock along with many others had with the 40 S&W is they rushed to market with their guns and rather than develop a gun around the 40 they just swapped out 9mm springs for 40 springs and started selling. THAT is the kind of company Glock is; in case you didn't already know. Those that developed a 40 gun from the ground up H&K or SIG for instance; didn't have any issues.

#7 ·
I like both my .40 and my 9mm (and my .38). I will say, the .40 make a bigger hole in the paper than the 9mm does. Does that mean better stopping power? Well, not one practice target I've ever shot with .40 has lived to tell about it :)

There are those who like to stay with one caliber (whatever they like best). I'm a fan of having multiple calibers. Sure, it costs more to stockpile for each caliber but, in a zombie apocalypse, I'll be able to shoot more of what I find....LOL.

I don't see .40 as a dying caliber.

#9 ·
"Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun, the caliber of which does not start with anything smaller than "4". - David E. Petzal

My Glock G23 was one of the best shooting and most accurate pistols I've owned.

If someone doesn't already own a 9 mm or a .45 ACP, then I think the .40 makes an excellent choice . . giving you higher capacity than the ACP and more mass than the 9.

#15 ·
I have several 40s and 9s, and 380s, and 32s, and it goes on. I have a little or a lot of Rebel in me. I like to have something different. In this case I do not believe the inuendos against the 40 caliber will survive in the light of day. Maybe there has been individual pistols that had a problem. The 40 caliber is robust, snappy, and loud if you are on the firing line next to it. Maybe a little too robust for some women. Maybe a little too snappy for some of us old geezers. They still have a following and I just bought some 40 caliber ammo for around 12 bucks for 50 rounds. I am not saying 40 is better, just that I will probably always own a couple pistols in that caliber.

#108 ·
Maybe there has been individual pistols that had a problem.
Yeah. A (black but color does not matter) woman I know wanted a .40 for some reason and asked me to help her decide which one. This was years ago.

She wanted a small, semiauto with a safety and some other criteria.

I ended up asking a FFL guy to get her a CZ 2075 Rami in .40 and told him I might want one, too.

He ordered 2 (1 for her and 1 for me) so I ended up feeling pressured to buy it and did.

Mine was a jam-a-matic. Terrible nose dives into the base of the feed ramp.

Turned out CZ had just used their 9mm magazine and gun design and rechambered it for .40.

The solution was to replace mag springs with +10% or something which I did. That stopped the problem but made fully loading the mags hard. It sits in a safe with all the other guns that have been unreliable.

I was told later that CZ beefed up the mag springs for their CZ 2075 Rami in .40 caliber.

#16 ·
Short answer is: There is nothing wrong with the .40.
Some people feel that if the FBI or some other agency is switching, they should too.
These people fail to understand why the switch took place.
The FBI and other agencies are recruiting people who are smaller in statue..Think females and certain ethnic groups (Asians etc), who can handle the 9mm better. Couple that with the decreased ammunition cost, times millions of rounds yearly, and it becomes easier to understand.

#20 ·
Nothing wrong with the .40 except it has lost popularity with the cool kids so you’re not supposed to shoot it. If you shoot a .40 nobody will talk to you at the prom. Personally I think it’s an OK compromise between the diameter and bullet weight of the .45 and the mag capacity of the 9mm, in similar sized pistols.

Never a better time to get into it; AIM Surplus keeps reducing the prices on their LEO trade-ins; I would stick to the Gen 4 in the Glock. I got a 22 and 23 that were both practically new at laughable prices. Fun to shoot.

If you like it, shoot it!

#28 ·
The 40 will do the damage if the shooter can hit with it.The 38 has put many a bad man down and the 40 has a good bit more foot pounds of energy. I think every few years that the gun media will crown a new cartridge King for a while. For all I know they might even be getting royalty checks, residuals etc.

#29 ·
Cost and a game console trained generation is the reason the FBI promoted the switch. Two of the four people I have seen shot with .40s now have colostomy bags and none of them continued the fight. Shot placement is the great equalizer regardless of caliber.

#30 ·
I have shot 9 mm, .357 Sig, .40 and .45 from similar guns to compare them for myself. Accuracy at 25 yards and under were pretty much the same. How they felt when you put a couple hundred rounds down range in a fairly short time did make a difference to me. The 9 mm were the easiest to handle followed by the .45. Next the .357 and last the .40. Something about the feel of shooting the .40 just wasn't as pleasant to me. Not bad mind you. My hands have been messed up a few times over the years so certain impulses can be a problem. Even .357 mag is more fun for me. I have watched many people shoot competion matches using .40 and for them it seemed like a great round in their hands.

I think there are different calibers because their are different people. Not everyone is going to like the same thing. That is what makes things great.

#32 ·
Only thing wrong with .40 is it's a tad too snappy for some folks. But if I'm not going to carry a .45, then it will be a .40.

#36 ·
Meh.......debatable. I’m no scientist,so I won’t debate it lol
All I do is load .40 to my liking and shoot it. Best shooting pistol in .40 I’ve shot has been a 1911. Those Tupperware guns don’t absorb enough of the recoil to me. Shootable.....yes. Enjoyable....absolutely not.

#35 ·
The whole "effectiveness" debate is really hogwash in my opinion, I daily carry a .380 for comfort and pretty sure whether it's a .380, 9mm, .40 caliber, or even .22lr itll stop someone
I think there is something to it. Think of it like the difference between a semi tractor and a vw beetle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.