Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

I thought I would just post the question to get some response. It seems to me the .40 has lost a lot of popularity in recent months or years? Why is this? I have shot the caliber for years, I reload for it, it is pleasant to shoot, accurate and powerful, but for some reason, I believe negative publicity, the round has lost it's luster. What say you?

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,673 Posts
Hello folks,

I thought I would just post the question to get some response. It seems to me the .40 has lost a lot of popularity in recent months or years? Why is this? I have shot the caliber for years, I reload for it, it is pleasant to shoot, accurate and powerful, but for some reason, I believe negative publicity, the round has lost it's luster. What say you?
I like it much... but apparently there's a move back to 9mm by many LE agencies... and the 10mm is evidently regaining lost ground too as of lately. However, I shall always remain a fan of the .40 S&W caliber. Doubt it ever fades away into total and complete obscurity.

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
I agree it seems to have lost popularity and the cool kids aren’t shooting it anymore, and according to the Internet Commandos you’re not a “knowledgeable operator” if you continue to shoot one. Hey that’s cool, more for me. I got practically unused LE trade-in Gen4 22 and 23 for just over $300 each. These are the first .40s I have owned, and I can see the appeal of them, bigger and heavier bullet than a nine and carries more rounds than a .45. I certainly wouldn’t fault anybody for carrying one. I’m liking that little Glock 23 more and more every time I shoot it.

9mm, .40, .45, 10mm, I love ‘em all!

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
10,581 Posts
I get the 40 trade ins then convert to 9mm. I can shoot them faster and cheaper. Nice having the option to run 40s if want too. I for one personally have gotten out of it for the most part. I'd rather bump up to 45 if was thinking about getting back into a 4_ caliber.

·
Registered
10,687 Posts
It is the normal ebb and flow of the firearms community. Everyone flocks to get something, then everyone has it and wants to be different, so they flock to something else. .41 Mag (everybody else had a .44 Mag), .38 Super, and 10mm are for the "rebel set" and their niches survive and probably always will. :D Human nature.

But, as Chicknman says, commercial 9mm ammo is much cheaper and that translates to being able to spend more range time with a 9mm for most people. I'd always have (or borrow back from the catfish) a 9mm for that reason alone. That varies somewhat if you reload, but even there cast 10mm bullets usually cost more than 9mm (more lead, higher cost). Some calibers, like .44Mag and .41Mag and .455 Webley and .30 Luger, as examples, only make sense if you reload (or you're filthy rich). To me 9mm currently pretty much isn't worth reloading (save the brass for when things change, as they will) at the current prices, when you add up the cost of components. YMMV.

·
Registered
10,687 Posts
These are the first .40s I have owned, and I can see the appeal of them, bigger and heavier bullet than a nine and carries more rounds than a .45.
Have you looked into the SAR K2 45 that a couple of us here wax ecstatic about? If you've got the larger mitts for it and yer not too feeble to lift a stout steel frame CZ75 derivative, they're the cats meow and have a 14+1 capacity of .45ACP in a grip frame smaller than seems possible for what it is.

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
Have you looked into the SAR K2 45 that a couple of us here wax ecstatic about? If you've got the larger mitts for it and yer not too feeble to lift a stout steel frame CZ75 derivative, they're the cats meow and have a 14+1 capacity of .45ACP in a grip frame smaller than seems possible for what it is.
I had not seen those. Looks pretty cool.

·
MSGO Court Jester
40,187 Posts
I like the 40, got an M&P Pro 40 in a 5" and I want an XDM in 40.

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
21,370 Posts
I had a .40S&W Star Firestar was a little snappy in that small of gun. If I ever get another one it will either be in a full size 1911 or M&P but I doubt I will, rather just go to a 10mm

Reactions: steve2112

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Hello folks,

Easy; The FBI switched to 9mm and they have never been known to be wrong so 9mm must be the correct caliber / only caliber worth owning. Oh yeah and the military uses it too so it MUST be the holy grail. The military has never been known to put cost above effectiveness.

I keep seeing things said about 9mm bullet development and how it has advanced in recent years, making it a viable self defense round. Always makes me scratch my head. Why has said development not also been applied to other calibers? Why would ammo companies ONLY improve the 9mm and exclude all other calibers? Should I sell all my other caliber guns since the scientific community has abandoned development on all calibers other than 9mm? Seems to be what 40 S&W owners are doing anyway.

WAIT; what's that you say? The scientific community didn't abandon all other calibers. The same technology that has benefited the 9mm HAS been applied to other calibers. My GOD why are they keeping that a secret? WHAT; they're not keeping it a secret? So then let me get this straight; yes the 9mm has been improved. But, so have many other caliber such as the 40 and 45 been equally improved. hmmmmmmmm then why switch from 40 or 45 to 9mm? Ohhhhhhh cheaper to shoot; right. Yeah saves 5; 10 cents a round. I got ya. IF you go to the range and shoot EVERY week; what does that save exactly; the cost of a cup of coffee or a pack of cigarettes? What's that you say? That's not the reason ................. less recoil / shot placement. Ahhhhh got ya. Silly question on my part here; but has it ever occurred to you that less recoil = less energy / less deadly? .................................. I know; I know; I'm just being silly :)

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,491 Posts
Reactions: Fredearl

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Anybody noticed that Fedral no longer list their 165 gr HST for the .40? All I can find is the 180 gr on their home page. They stop the 165 HST and create a hydra shock deep in 165 gr with the same muzzle velocity as the 180gr HST.

Federal and their parent company, VISTA! can KMA after pulling 50rd boxes from nonLEO.

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Anybody noticed that Fedral no longer list their 165 gr HST for the .40? All I can find is the 180 gr on their home page. They stop the 165 HST and create a hydra shock deep in 165 gr with the same muzzle velocity as the 180gr HST.

Federal and their parent company, VISTA! can KMA after pulling 50rd boxes from nonLEO.
This?
Federal Law Enforcement 40 S&W Ammo 165 Grain HST JHP

1 - 20 of 77 Posts