Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help identifying this "tool"
Was in my Grandfather-in-laws tools, he managed a cotton gin in Greenville during the 50's, early 60's, but don't know if it is related to ginning.
Backside is stamped

WILLIS CUTTER WORKS
LELAND, MISS

Google image search came up empty the last time I tried.

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
19,398 Posts
Looks like an old cotton seed sampler, insert the seed and cut them in have to see if they are filled out.

Which gin did your grandfather in law manage? My father managed one near the oil mill in Greenville during the 50's. My grandfather, father,his brothers, myself and a few cousins all managed and built cotton gins all over the Delta. My Grandfather started managing gins in the 1920's

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure of the name of the gin, wifey not willing to go dig through the 60 tons of memorabilia tonight. Samuel Cromer was his name, he passed in 1975, don't know when he retired. They likely knew each other.
I spent a lot of time exploring/playing at the cotton gin in Morgan City, MS, the workers never batted an eye that 6 & 7 year old kids were in the gin during ginning time.

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
19,398 Posts
My father and uncles probably knew him when he worked there. He would have used that to grade samples of the seeds on trucks coming into the oil mill.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts