Mississippi Gun Owners banner
221 - 240 of 274 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,365 Posts
Smith & Wesson K38 Target Masterpiece, with a set of Fitz Ten Target stocks.
I traded this one to a fellow MSGO member for a STI 1911 in 9 mm.
Ended up selling the STI, and blowing the money on something stupid, like bills, gas or groceries.
Should've kept the old Smith, I guess.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
14,164 Posts

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
Best Guesses:
1. South Charleston P. D.
Charleston, West Virginia

2. Suffolk County P. D.
Suffolk County, New York

What kind of accent does it have at the range? :LOL:

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I posted these in my Want to Buy thread, but it looks like Wheel Gun Wednesday hasn't gotten much love lately, so here's some from me.

Cimarron Uberti Bisley in 38-40. Beautiful condition, with the best fake ivory grips I've ever seen.

3rd Gen Colt's Single Action Army in 45 Colt. Not great shape, finish wise, but perfect mechanically.

·
Premium Member
15,139 Posts
Met a fellow MSGOer this morning and traded for another S&W 625..............

625 Model of 1988 on top and 625 Model of 1989 on bottom. I didn't know there was a Model of 1988. But you can see some differences. Mainly on which side the S&W logo in stamped. Also, the "Model of 1988" is stamped into the barrel, and the "Model of 1989" is laser engraved into the barrel. Both have SMOOTH triggers.

The 1989 trigger might be a little lighter and smoother which is good because it is setup as a DA only revolver with that bobbed hammer. The 1988 has a rubber trigger over travel stop attached which really helps when shooting DA.

I traded my S&W 625 JM. I don't think that 625 had any trigger work done. It has a much heavier trigger and the trigger has ribs which I don't like. I like a smooth face trigger. Both of these 625s have a smooth face trigger.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Interesting gun, the S&W 625. There never was a no dash, nor was there a -1. The first production 625 is the -2, and as SubGunFan noted, there are 2 versions of the -2. Mine is a Model of 1988, and it's the best shooter of all my revolvers. I've owned a number of 625's through the years, but the 1988 is the only one I still have. I kinda like it, Belgian proof marks and all!

·
Premium Member
15,139 Posts
Interesting gun, the S&W 625. There never was a no dash, nor was there a -1. The first production 625 is the -2, and as SubGunFan noted, there are 2 versions of the -2. Mine is a Model of 1988, and it's the best shooter of all my revolvers. I've owned a number of 625's through the years, but the 1988 is the only one I still have. I kinda like it, Belgian proof marks and all!

Both of mine are 625-2 guns. I just did a little Googling on the Model of 1988 and found out there was a run of only 1500 that was to honor the IPSC shooting sport. After that S&W made the Model of 1989 for general market. The one thing I don't like about both is the SN stamping next to cylinder. You can't (barely) read the number because of the POOR stampings. The SN at base of grip is clear to read. That is just plain piss poor workmanship.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Both of mine are 625-2 guns. I just did a little Googling on the Model of 1988 and found out there was a run of only 1500 that was to honor the IPSC shooting sport. After that S&W made the Model of 1989 for general market. The one thing I don't like about both is the SN stamping next to cylinder. You can't (barely) read the number because of the POOR stampings. The SN at base of grip is clear to read. That is just plain piss poor workmanship.

It's confusing, and as near as I can tell, the Truth Isn't Out There.

The 625-2 isn't well documented, even by the authors (Supica and Nahas) of the Standard Catalog of Smith& Wesson who are pretty well known as the experts in the field. From what I can put together, there are three different markings. The total quantity of 625-2's is maybe? 5,708. The number of Model of 1988's is unknown , and the number of Model of 1989's also unknown. I've seen both 1500 and 2500 as the number of so marked Bowling Pin 88's. I've never seen a 625 marked Bowling Pin 88 but that doesn't mean anything. Except that I'd probably buy one if I did. ;)

221 - 240 of 274 Posts