Mississippi Gun Owners banner
241 - 260 of 274 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,833 Posts
This is a 1987 S&W 65-3 that I picked up at a pawn shop recently. I finally got around to cleaning it up some. It was filthy, covered in scratches and had a pair of cheap plastic grips on it. I was able to easily polish out some of the lighter scratches and put a better set of grips for it. They are not the correct vintage but better than the plastic ones. When I get more time I'll work on the remaining scratches.

Since the 65 is a stainless version of the 13 I had to take one of them together.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
14,164 Posts
This is a 1987 S&W 65-3 that I picked up at a pawn shop recently. I finally got around to cleaning it up some. It was filthy, covered in scratches and had a pair of cheap plastic grips on it. I was able to easily polish out some of the lighter scratches and put a better set of grips for it. They are not the correct vintage but better than the plastic ones. When I get more time I'll work on the remaining scratches.
View attachment 273246

View attachment 273247

View attachment 273248

Since the 65 is a stainless version of the 13 I had to take one of them together.

View attachment 273250
...................... (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

·
μολὼν λαβέ
39,736 Posts
I really like the old S&W's with the slimmer grips like on 22lrfan's.

Reactions: 22lrfan

·
Premium Member
13,833 Posts
This is one I picked up last week. At first I thought it was a rare, target model Triple Lock. After doing some research and looking at it closer I realized it wasn't original. This one started out as a standard 6 1/2" barrel Triple Lock, made in 1909, in .44 Special with a round blade front sight and a grooved topstrap. Someone had it reblued and whoever did the work over buffed it. The barrel was cut to 4" and a rib with new front sight added. The frame was cut to install an adjustable rear sight. Whoever did the conversion work did an outstanding job.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
39,736 Posts
This is one I picked up last week. At first I thought it was a rare, target model Triple Lock. After doing some research and looking at it closer I realized it wasn't original. This one started out as a standard 6 1/2" barrel Triple Lock, made in 1909, in .44 Special with a round blade front sight and a grooved topstrap. Someone had it reblued and whoever did the work over buffed it. The barrel was cut to 4" and a rib with new front sight added. The frame was cut to install an adjustable rear sight. Whoever did the conversion work did an outstanding job.
View attachment 275117

View attachment 275120

View attachment 275118

View attachment 275119
Nice!

Wish I new if anyone around here did the top strap milling for adj sights on k-frames.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
39,736 Posts

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
View attachment 275117

View attachment 275120

View attachment 275118

View attachment 275119
That’s a bad mamajamuh!

J.B.

·
Super Moderator
9,365 Posts
Reactions: Gulfport Joe

·
MSGO Court Jester
43,991 Posts
View attachment 275117

View attachment 275120

View attachment 275118

View attachment 275119
I'd call dibs, but I know I'd just be wasting time typing. Oh wait......

Reactions: 22lrfan

·
Premium Member
13,833 Posts
This thread has been to quiet so I'll get it kicked back off. Picked up this 1937 S&W 38/44 Outdoorsman a couple of months ago. The 38/44 was a .38 Special built on the N frame. It was built to handle the hot .38 loads people were experimenting with before the .357 was introduced. Serial numbers on frame, cylinder, barrel, crane and extractor star all match. One interesting feature is the hammer. It appears to have a King Cockeyed Target hammer. I'll have to disassemble it and look for markings on it to verify if it's a King or a copy.

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Revolver Air gun Trigger Everyday carry Shotgun

Everyday carry Material property Strap Tints and shades Electric blue

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
I'd guess that this is an early serious target pistol for centerfire matches. After folks got really good at accurizing 1911's, they pretty well took over the centerfire course...before that serious bullseye target shooters used three guns, a .22 for the rimfire match, a .38 Special revolver for centerfire match, and a 1911 .45 for the .45 match. I'm kind of surprised that it is not equipped with a grip-adaptor and a trigger shoe.

·
MSGO Court Jester
43,991 Posts
I'd guess that this is an early serious target pistol for centerfire matches. After folks got really good at accurizing 1911's, they pretty well took over the centerfire course...before that serious bullseye target shooters used three guns, a .22 for the rimfire match, a .38 Special revolver for centerfire match, and a 1911 .45 for the .45 match. I'm kind of surprised that it is not equipped with a grip-adaptor and a trigger shoe.
At one time, the LPD pistol team shot 2700 matches and had model 14 Smiths, High Standard 22.s, Model 52 Smiths, and Camp Perry accurized Colt Gold Cups. When I first joined the team, we still shot BE matches but only at 25 yards, and no timed or rapid fire, just slow fire. It wasn't long before we got into Police Combat.
But for a while, I had those four guns issued to me and kept in a nice gun box with mounted spotting scope, also issued to team members. When shooting BE matches, I had my choice of any except the .22. I seemed to do best with the model 52 Smith. In those days, I had not quite achieved how to shoot a 1911 very well. But I still shot it on occasion, cause .45 ACP 1911 doncha know.

·
Premium Member
13,833 Posts
This is another one I picked up on the tax free weekend, a 1983 3" S&W 65-3. It had a Houge rubber grip on it that had to go. I added a pair of stag grips made by a guy on the S&W forum.

Product Cosmetics Bicycle part Red Cylinder

Revolver Air gun Material property Trigger Gun barrel

Revolver Gun barrel Trigger Gun accessory Metal

241 - 260 of 274 Posts