Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,330 Posts
I put together my own kit, from watching various YouTube videos on paper cartridges.
I think @Chris Boyd purchased a ready-made kit. Hopefully he'll chime in.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Here is the link to the videos for the kit that I purchased.

Here is the link to the his Etsy store where you can purchase the kit.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I’ll say this regarding the Guns of the West kit: it works very well, especially for 36 cal cartridges. For 44 cal, you’ll need to experiment with how best to roll the precut papers around the mandrel, as the instructions provided in the video didn’t work for my 44 cartridges. Glueing round balls to the end of the powder filled paper cones can be frustrating until you get the hang of it. I messed up several cartridges before I hit on a method that works for me. It just takes patience and a little practice to get it right, but it does work well.

The biggest draw back for me is that the cartridges tend to leave a bit of un-burnt paper behind in the chambers. I’ve added a chop stick to my BP range bag for plucking out the left over paper prior to reloading. This could be cured by nitrating the papers to make combustible cartridges but, while I’ve purchased the supplies to do that, I haven’t tried it out yet.

I posted in another thread the difference in my reload times with pre-made cartridges vs loose powder and ball. It was significant. However, the trade off comes in the time it takes to make the cartridges ahead of time. I find it nice to put on an audio book or a YouTube video and sit at my computer with a Tupperware bin full of my components and just while away the time rolling and glueing and crimping and filling and lubing. I can load about ten cartridges in ~20 minutes if I don’t have any distractions, but usually settle for about that many in an hours time. Remember to allow at lease a minute for the glue on the seams and bases to set before you fill them add the projectile, otherwise the cartridges can stick to the inside of the former and be ruined when you try to press them out.

Reactions: harleychief
1 - 4 of 4 Posts