close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Which kind of milsurp to get next

Discussion in 'Mil-Surp/C&R/Black Powder' started by burb1989, Apr 21, 2016.

1. burb1989

burb1989 Distinguished Poster

Saucier
    I'm at a big crossroads for my next must have milsurp rifle. My Japanese rifles are coming in handsomely (I'm getting at least five more in a few months from a good friend) and my enfields are pretty rounded out except for a good no1 mk3 not from India (I'm up to two of each basic model and one real jungle carbine). K98s are next to impossible to find at shows (though one would look good next to my great uncle's k98 in the safe) and I'm out of the market for mosins, Yugo k98s, and Turk mausers. US rifles are for the most part overpriced here and I don't see any other country's rifles in decent amounts (ex. French rifles). I would love to find more Vietnam captured firearms but those are extremely hard to come by and the two I have I lucked into. I'm just not sure what I should be on the lookout for next.

2. fordpkup

fordpkup Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Should have caught drunk about 40 years ago.:groan:

3. Sum Gy Custom Firearms

Sum Gy Custom Firearms Distinguished Poster

Mr. Doug just posted a nice K 31 for sale!! :101010::101010:

L Smith, stewbaby and fordpkup like this.
  4. get a swede and a enfield

my opinion..swede mauser is the best among milsurps

5. burb1989

Saucier
    That's a possibility but I think if I wanted a Swiss rifle bad enough I know someone who would part with one for a little less but that's only if I wanted one real bad

6. fordpkup

fordpkup Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I like the Milsups and when Mr Doug posted that I had to fight off the urge. Another gun I want worst. :)

7. burb1989

Saucier
    I have a few enfields but for the year and model I want sellers want too much for them and Swedes for me anyway aren't my thing. I agree they are neat rifles but I just love the battlefield bring backs more.

8. captain-03

captain-03 Moderator Staff Member MSGO Supporter

Byram, MS
    Sorry, can't help you ... US misurps are my fashion .... while they seemed to be expensive now, bet they will cost more next year and the year after!!

maxhush, L Smith, stewbaby and 2 others like this.
  9. burb1989

Saucier
    I understand that fully captain but I just don't see any good US rifles for the money at the shows I end up at. If Garands and M1 carbines show up they are way overpriced as are the chopped up 1903s I keep running into. The one 1903 I did find for a decent price I basically stole since it was way underpriced with the seller thinking the safety was broken when in fact it just wasn't put together correctly.

fordpkup likes this.
  10. 22lrfan

22lrfan Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I've really got a hankering for a Mauser 71/84. I love the old and oddball ones like me. Been watching them for a while on Gunbroker. Missed a couple of nice ones.

11. burb1989

Saucier
    I haven't run into many 71/84s but I do have a very rare 71 that was sent to Uruguay with an experimental French naval caliber

L Smith and 22lrfan like this.
  12. stewbaby

stewbaby Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Ditto on Doug's. If he owns it, it's a shooter and his brass alone is worth over $100+. Swiss K31's are the hidden gem of milsurps and they are only going up in value. Superbly make...think Swiss quality. Make him an offer.

Ditto the Swedish Mausers, M39 Finnish Mosin.

...and the best: M1 Garand, M1917, and 1903A3.

13. 22lrfan

22lrfan Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I needs me one of those ultra rare "1803A3's". :D

14. stewbaby

Fixed it...paybacks are heck!

22lrfan likes this.
  15. burb1989

Saucier
    I'm not sure on the K31 just yet. If I do get the itch I know someone close by that I can get a nice one from for not much ( I probably can trade him some of my excess parts and bits as he likes hoarding parts like I do).
    Also I backed out of the mosin market as I see them every show and already owning a couple including a Finn I just thought it was time to look for something different.
    I'm lucky to have a Garand that I basically got for free and my 1903 covers the 03/03A3 piece since any other one I've been able to find is either chopped up or asking enormously too much for.
    The M1917 would be a good bet but I haven't come across one for sale at any of the shows I've been to these past five years I've been collecting.

22lrfan likes this.
  16. burb1989

Saucier
    Now you all can see that I've basically backed myself into a collecting corner when it comes to my search. The M1917 would be a great addition if I found one for sale first and if the seller wasn't going to ask way too much for it. Also if I run into anymore Vietnam bring back firearms I would definitely be interested but those are extremely hard to find first and then prove they came from Vietnam second.

L Smith and 22lrfan like this.
  17. Sum Gy Custom Firearms

Well since you like enfields I could make you drool and not be able to sleep for years but I won't do that to you. :D

22lrfan, L Smith and fordpkup like this.
  18. burb1989

Saucier
    I bet you could Sum GY. I do like enfields because they are great shooters and ammo here is easy to find compared to other areas of the country. I have two Long Branch No4s one from the first year 1942 and the other from the last year 1950. I also have two No1s one made in Australia in 1942 that was a bring back from my grandfather's best friend and the other made in India in 1953. My jungle carbine is my favorite though as it was made February 1945 and everything on it matches down to the magazine.

19. stewbaby

Go oddball...Hakim and Rasheed

20. Sum Gy Custom Firearms

I know where there are 2 mint unissued enfield sniper systems still in the original wooden cases with heavy hammer forged barrels scopes and all small pieces!! :D

22lrfan and L Smith like this.