Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whidden dies worth the extra chedda? I posted in reloading forum and may not have been seen. Appreciate Leadburner's feedback. Anyone used both and was their much difference in group size?

·
Registered
15,440 Posts
A group can only be so small and a man can only be so accurate. Regardless of how much you spend you can only do so much. I have shot .090 groups with lee dies and .30 caliber bullets and I have shot .065 groups with .284 bullets and RCBS X dies. Today I shot a .1150 group with Redding match dies and I was a bit shaky.

Reactions: maxhush and BasMstr

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
It's the Chevy or Cadillac choice. I've have both Whidden & Redding but in different calibers. Certain calibers are only available from Whidden so that's why I prefer the Whidden. Plus Whidden can make you a custom die for your rifle if desired.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should have been more clear in my OP. I was referring to the Custom Whidden Set vs Redding Competition. I will likely get the Redding and use those until the whidden custom set is finished(8-10 weeks) if the Redding set does not work so well. I don't like changing the settings once my dies are set, so I have multiple sets for various calibers (i.e. .300blk set for subsonic and set for supersonic with 155gr boolit.) I could always use the Redding for SCAR 17 if I eventually decided to go with the custom whidden set.

A little off topic, but a friend is having a 6,5 SAUM built and I have noticed that not many companies make a bushing die set for that caliber or at least Graf & Sons does not have them on the dealer page. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
also, choosing bushing size for redding comp set....

I am starting with new .308 Lapua brass. I have read that I need to load some dummy rounds with old dies and measure, but that measurement may not give me the correct size bushing, so I may have to order multiple bushings.

Does that happen often, or is there a way to get the measurement right the first time so that I only have to order one bushing?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts