Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who traps snapping turtles? Season opening soon. I built this trap last summer but have had no luck with it.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Road surface

I built it first out of welded panel, but it was kind of floppy, so I made another one out of re-mesh and wrapped the welded panel around it, it is sturdier now.

I baited it with chicken gizzards strung across the back end well inside the wire, but the next morning gizzards are gone and nothing in the trap. Them gizzards are not real easy to pull off the bait wire so whatever is getting in there and getting out with them must be pretty sly.

Am going to make a bait cage this season and try that. Any other pointers appreciated! I have caught some nice big softshells on jug lines but never a snapper.

One day last week the dogs were going crazy just down from the house. I went to see what it was and they were harassing this:

Vertebrate Reptile Turtle Gopher tortoise Grass

Would have made a nice big pot of sauce piquante but it's not legal season yet and it's probably a big female with eggs so I pulled the dogs away so she could go about her business.

Let's talk turtle!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's cool Ellis that's an alligator snapper, was lots of them in south Louisiana when I was growing up. I have never seen one since I moved here, just the common snappers.

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, you're trapping them and eating them? This is new to me, but I am intrigued.
Oh yes sir, it is good stuff. My dad was an insurance agent who drove the back roads of south Louisiana all day long and in the month of May he was always coming home with snappers in the trunk of his car. Around here everybody fries everything, but my dad always made a sauce piquante, this pretty identical to what he did:

I have occasionally had some softshells up here caught incidentally but I am wanting some good old snappers too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts