Grilling Whole pig smoker

Discussion in 'Mississippi Cooking Forum' started by onlymaroonmatters, Apr 5, 2018.

1. CajunBP

CajunBP Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I do, really portable and cooks really well.

BasMstr and Chicknman like this.
  2. Chicknman

Chicknman Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

We were using one for the second or third time and got the fire too hot or left it too long or something. There was nothing left of our small pig. If you got it right the meat was the tenderest and juiciest ever. I haven't seen one in years but I don't think they would be too hard to build. Just need some stainless sheet.

3. onlymaroonmatters

onlymaroonmatters Eat Sleep Jeep & Guns MSGO Supporter

Laurel
    Ha no worries we did.

With our extensive research before attempting this I saw a few videos using one of those. Problem with that is its just baking it like an oven. It's cool cause can do a whole pig, but we were going for true smoking. The neck meat was undoubtedly the best pork I've ever had hands down.

4. Chicknman

Throw some of your favorite wood chips in the bottom. I like sassafras

5. canebreaker

canebreaker Distinguished Poster

We did a Cajun microwave a few years back. The box was made with apple and hickory lumber. Line the inside lower half and bottom with foil. Wrap brick with foil for the floor and lay a piece of expanded metal on it, laid foil on it. 2 pig halves 230 lbs were added, no head. A metal lid with handles and 2" lip was put on top. 25 lbs of charcoal was started on it. Every hour the coals were scooped away from the ash. Ash removed and more charcoal added. At 6 hours the top was removed and halves turned over. Whole fruit, veggies 4 whole rabbits and 4 whole fryers were added. Worked with the charcoal another 4 hours. Almost needed a shovel to remove the food from the box it was falling apart that well. Some had dry rub added before pulling and some was left natural for you to add what seasons, sauce you wanted.

para40 likes this.
  6. onlymaroonmatters

Laurel
    We used chips of hickory over the coals.

Big sister ready to go for tomorrow, all 65# of her
    IMG_3530.JPG

Chicknman likes this.
  7. Chicknman

If you can get some sassafras try smoking with a little of it.

onlymaroonmatters likes this.
  8. onlymaroonmatters

Laurel
    Will definitely try to get some for next time. Will have time cause will be good while, these whole pigs are a lot of work. 0200 is gonna come mighty early

Chicknman likes this.