close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why Do I Keep going to Van's?!?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by K.B., Jul 29, 2016.

1. K.B.

K.B. Distinguished Poster

I have told myself on more than one occasion that I will never step foot back in that crooks shop. This time they have gone over the top, prices on the used guns are sporadic and inconsistent.

Please let me make this statement, I am the Mini 14 master, and there is nothing you can do or say that will change the facts of the rifle. I know everything there is to know about the Mini 14 and AC556.

So today, I walked into Van's with a wad of cash that equaled to 1000 dollars! CASH! In there used gun section there are 4 Mini 14's, 2 pencil barrel minis, one stainless 196 series for 600 bucks another 188 series for 700, and 2 newer Minis with the thicker barrels, one is a 582 in a ATI stock with a threaded barrel for 800, and a 581 in a archangel sparta stock that did not have a price. I asked about the Mini 14 in the sparta stock since it had no price. The guy came back with a 600 dollar sticker, sounds good right? Well this mini in question had a lot of faults, for one the pin for the front sight was missing, the sparta stock looked like it has been run over by a pick up truck, and the magpul flip up sights did not flip up, you had to force the sights into place, and it being a 581 model Mini 14 that means it is over a decade old. So, we got a 10 year old rifle with no sights that worked properly, fixed into a crappy cheap stock that is known to have bedding issues and parts that are missing. I offered the guy 550 for it and explained to them that it would cost about 200 bucks to get the rifle to shoot correctly again, but they stayed firm at 600 bucks and would not budge. In fact the salesman (And yes Van Allen was watching us like a hawk hearing every word) said he could find someone that would buy it for 600 and would not go any lower. I said thanks buddy and left.

So here is the list, we got two pencil barrel mini 14's that are over 20 years old in the 600 to 700 dollar range and one tactical model that is 8 years old for 800 and a 10 year old P.O.S. for 600. So in retrospect we have a 20 year old Mini for 100 dollars less than 10 year old mini, where as I can go to Wal-Mart and buy a brand new Mini 14 for 700 bucks. Where do they get there prices from? Does Van's like to sell guns or just look at them? But like I said, the guy behind the counter said he can find someone to buy it. So if you like getting screwed, please go to Van's. Oh and one more thing, I have been eyeballing that rifle for 3 months now and they still have not sold it.

Sorry for the rant but I wanted you good folks to know what you will be walking into when you go to Van's... Do your price checking homework because they have no problem screwing people that dont know any better.

John K, 94LEVERFAN, frodo and 14 others like this.
  2. mascott

mascott Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Sad part is........he probably will sell them! Just not to me or you it seems.

94LEVERFAN, frodo, Quickeye and 5 others like this.

3. Lefty2Guns

Lefty2Guns Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I have to wonder why you are so worked up about it man. If you are indeed the "Mini 14 master" I have to imagine that you can put together your own, or have a pair of squared away 14's that can put down any target at any range and would never, ever need to purchase a beat up one for $50 higher than you are wanting to pay.

Save a little extra and buy the one you want from a different dealer that you actually like. Personally, if I had been eyeballing a rifle for 3 months I could have saved $17 each of those months to pay asking price, or probably would have moved on by now.

Best of luck.

4. K.B.

Well it is the principle about it my friend, this is America and we have this thing called the "haggle". If the guy would have said 575 I would have said sold. But the fact is they would not budge on a rifle that obviously needed work. I say 600 aint bad but unfortunately Wal-Mart will be getting my business. The rifle in question is still a ranch version 581 with out a threaded barrel in some what tactical stock. Does not matter what stock it is in for me, but I can get a new ranch rifle Mini 14 with the same 5 round mag that is in the sparta Mini that is at Van's. Also the new Mini will come with 2 5 round mags, scope rings, a tapped receiver for rail mounts, and a sling. I'm just trying to figure out there rationalization on price. And yes you are right I do have a Mini 14 that will put down any target, but now I'm looking at making a SBR out of a Mini 14 since I already made one out of a target rifle.

[​IMG]

Gremmward, frodo, deadhead and 7 others like this.
  5. steve2112

steve2112 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Clinton
    It seems to me that most of the new stuff in Van's are at MSRP or above. There are other places where I can usually get stuff cheaper. I'd rather just go visit our own biscuitnt at Brandon Sporting Arms and buy from him.

Also, I'm normally kind of middle of the road on the Mini 14, but that one is beautiful. Wow.

frodo, deadhead, I'm a Rebel and 5 others like this.
  6. K.B.

Hey thanks, I'm all over the road when it come to the Mini's;) I just find it easy to work on and modify these old fashion wood and steel guns. And I do like the guys at Brandon Sporting goods, I recently purchased some 1911 buffers for my Mini 14's action, I've been getting them online and since these guys moved to town they have been a real big help. In fact I'll go see what they charge for a little 14 just to see. Thanks for that friend! forgot all about those guys.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    94LEVERFAN, frodo, Mesquite and 3 others like this.
  7. steve2112

steve2112 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Clinton
    They are great guys. David has helped feed my habit, even when he was just doing gun shows. He's a member here, though he doesn't post much anymore. I guess the store is keeping him too busy these days.

frodo, Mesquite, I'm a Rebel and 2 others like this.
  8. If the guy don't haggle on a used gun in that cond. walk away and don't look back . JMO

9. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus
  10. Lefty2Guns

Lefty2Guns Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Nice rifle man. If you don't like the way Vans does business vote with your money.
    I prefer to deal with Ryan at Rankin Shooter's supply, he is a good dude. I don't care if they can't beat Van's price and I don't expect them to, they are a much smaller volume shop.
    Best of luck in your search.

94LEVERFAN, frodo, Mesquite and 5 others like this.
  11. Canman

Canman Distinguished Poster

Brandon
    Do they buy firearms at a fair price?

12. K.B.

Oh I'm not sure about that, I try not to sell any of the firearms that I have.

13. jakeg823

jakeg823 Distinguished Poster

I've never felt cheated when I traded there. Always got what I felt was a fair price. It's when you're buying that they get you.

PWB, lazi, frodo and 4 others like this.
  14. 41 fan

41 fan Distinguished Poster

The one thing I've never understood is, people post that he is overpriced, he will not haggle, I've seen post where people said that they could not get service and probably more complaints. My simple question is, WHY DO YOU KEEP GOING BACK IF ITS SO BAD?
    Ronnie

Cliff731, mattblake, PWB and 11 others like this.
  15. K.B.

Apparently I have Alzheimer's :oops:

16. cs700

cs700 Distinguished Poster

When I go to Van's it's to look at firearms to get a feel of what it's like then I order on line & save a bunch of money by switching to Geico.

melmerf, maxhush, BasMstr and 9 others like this.
  17. CajunBP

CajunBP Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

...while there, you get a little light-headed handling the weapon and just for an instant you think..."maybe they adjusted their business model or need to sell it and then I could take it home right now!" I don't know you, so I am really just making an assumption based on how I end falling into the same trap!;)

BasMstr, frodo, steve2112 and 2 others like this.
  18. K.B.

I'll say this, the little 196 series stainless steel Mini 14 in the wood stock for 600 is fair. It is a rare combo to find in a Mini 14.

frodo and Sum Gy Custom Firearms like this.
  19. cs700

cs700 Distinguished Poster

The 2 times I tried to negotiate with Vans they wouldn't budge. I then came home & order from Grabagun & save over $100 on one & $230 dollars on the other. More than worth the 4 to 5 day wait. Vans is just a touch & feel place & good for a laugh at their gun prices.

20. librich

librich Distinguished Poster

Liberty
    I was in there Thursday looking for some ammo. I was looking at the ammo behind the counter and never had anyone ask if they could help me. I know they were busy with other customers but you should at least acknowledge a potential customer.I admit that if I had seen what I wanted I would have gotten somebodies attention but that is not the first time I have been ignored in there.

22lrfan, CajunBP, frodo and 2 others like this.