Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
First, , I absolutely love, love, love 300WM. Might be the best cartridge ever designed! Capable of taking EVERY North American game species.
I am not sure why all the hype over 6.5 as I feel it is no better than anything else.
Is it capable of successfully taking large game? yes.
Does it have reduced recoil yet similar ballistics of .308? Yes.
BUT, so do 6mm cartridges like the .243 if using heavy bullets.
I personally think the hype is simply about selling more guns and this fad will "cool off" just as fast as it started. Once people realize there is no actual benefit cost wise or ballisticly they will go back to the old standards of .30 caliber rifles i.e. 30/30, .308 & 30.06. All three of those "standard" caliber rounds cost less per round than 6.5 ammo, offer superior performance, and with proper load selection, provide the exact same benefits that the 6.5 caliber rounds have been boasting. You can't go wrong with the reduced recoil of a 30/30, or the range or stoping power of .308 or 30.06. I believe the 6.5 craze is just a fad that will die off soon. I bought a 6.5 Creedmoor to see what all the fus was about and now I have yet another rifle that will take up space because it is not a tool I will use often.

·
Premium Member
3,162 Posts
I can't type well enough to go into great lengths here. I agree with all Gulfport Joe said in his post above. The 6.5 CM was initially developed as target shooters (esp across the course shooters) were experimenting with rounds to give less recoil to the .308, mor ump than the .223 - they went through several phases - the 7x08, the 6.5x308 (aka - 260 Remington) the 6mm XC (an improved 6mmx.22-250).
The 6.5Cm is a highly efficient case design similar in proportion to 6mm PPC rounds of benchrest lore. I have shot all the above rounds except the 6.5CM. Ballistically it is no better than the 6.5X308 which can easily be made from .243 brass or .308 brass. (I prefer necking up .243 brass) - I have been told by target shooting buddies that the 6.5CM seems to be easier to find the "sweet spot load" than the 6.5X08 but when the sweet spot load for the 6.5x08 is found, it as good as the 6.5CM..... The case design of the 6.5CM is definitely ahead of the 6.5x08. No doubt the 6.5CM is a great round.
Personally, for just knocking a hole in a piece of paper, deer close/mid range etc., I like the 6mmXC or the 6mmX22-250. I do own several 6.5X308s (and yes, I have been shooting the 6.5X308 since the days when the die makers only made custom rounds for it as it was not called the 260Rem - my dies are stamped 6.5X308)

The Ammo designers did a great job with the 6.5CM, the gunmakers followed suit and the gun writes followed right along to drive popularity of a round that was pleasant to shoot and shoot accurately. Kinda like they did when Winchester introduced the .270 .... then the .308 then the .300 WMag etc.

In my years of shooting, I have always found that the intended purpose of a rifle cartridge dictated the selection of that cartridge....... Selection is based on what you want the bullet to do when it gets to the intended target. Your mileage may vary

·
Registered
910 Posts
I agree with joe on the 300win mag. It is overkill on most things in ms. BUT it does do it all. 6.5cm is ALOT of hype. (Just my opinion) but whatever floats your boat I would take a 270win over it any day. Modern day marketing wonder. It’s a bullet nothing magical or special about it in my opinion. Just like the new girl at school. She gets a lot of looks until it turns out she’s just like the other girls. HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL OUR MEMBERS AND FAMILY

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Can't answer about the deer hunting but from a bench shooter's perspective it's a great round. Any good caliber will lay deer on the ground. But if you shoot more than 1 or 2 rounds how's the shoulder feel? Fords, Chevy or BMW everyone has a favorite. My view it's a great caliber & manages the recoil.

·
Registered
907 Posts
If I've learned anything from the ammo shortage, I still hold true to my beliefs. I stick with the standards. Give me 22lr, 22mag, 45acp, 223/556, & 308. I can always scrounge up ammo. I do own 280, 243, 300wm, & 35 Rem. The later 4 are very difficult to obtain ammo for right now. I'm old school as I never take a shot at a whitetail at over 200yrds. I call it hunting when I do so. I prefer my shots under 100yrds. I love to see them close & personal. Best hunting experience as an adult I've had is the nostalgia of taking a whitetail at 65yrds with a Springfield Armory M1A Scout rifle.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I like the 6.5CM round because I can take a deer or pick away at a clay bird at 300 yds. I use a Savage platforms and all of my rifles have threaded barrels to accomdate a suppressor. Earlier I took two deer 30 seconds apart because the second deer was not alerted by the suppressed shot. I also like it as it is a short cartridge vs the long cartridge on my .270 and 30-06. It seems to be a quicker bolt throw for a possible follow on shot.

·
Registered
802 Posts
So, why it's so popular is because every magazine, YouTube Channel, and other media outlets hyped it up. But, unlike some rounds in the past that got hyped up to be the next big thing, the Creedmoor had proven itself. While yes initially developed as a long range cartridge, like any new round out there that has any mainstream follow it makes its way into hunting.

So, from a hunting perspective... no it doesn't kill deer any better than say .243, 7mm-08, .308, and slough of other cartridges commonly used. However, comparing it to .243 and 7mm-08 specifically, it does have a flatter trajectory and stays super sonic and even trans sonic at farther distances while still delivering more energy at those greater ranges. Recoil is similar to 7mm-08 if not a hair bit lighter but I think a lot of that comes down to the gun. So, it's widely popular with Youth rifles and rifles for recoil sensitive shooters. And due it it's marketing it's cutting into the .243 and 7mm-08 market.

Doesn't make those rounds obsolete or less effective, just the Creedmoor essentially accomplishes the same tasks those rounds do and then some. Personally I never bought into the hype but I can't deny it has a successful track record for what it set out to do. Nearly identical to the old 6.5 Swedish Mauser cartridge, just more pressure and slightly faster velocities so I didn't see what the big deal was. But one would be amazed at how many had never heard of the 6.5 Swedish before the Creedmoor. Both are fine rounds for deer and hogs in the state, though with Creedmoor at about 50 yards or less your ammunition selection becomes very important I've noticed. Much like 7mm Mag and .270 at short ranges the wrong bullet will result in a pass through. But, I'd say ammunition selection is always an important part when deciding what you want to do anyways. Just seems those rounds suffer from that a bit more than others.

But one final thing aiding in it's success is that it has made it's way into the US military and is going to become a standard round in inventory. And anything that has military adoption and success tends to see wide spread adoption from others further fueling it. So, my overall thoughts is that it's a great round but there's no need to switch to it unless you want what it brings to the table. Ammunition is fairly available in general for it with only .308 really having a wider availability.

So, if you've already got a .308 or other caliber you like... stick with it. IF you do change, do it because you want the advantages another caliber brings or because of ammunition availability and variety.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I believe one thing that is being overlooked in this discussion is probably, IMO, one of the biggest advantages: COST.

Hornady did an outstanding job of marketing and brought a cartridge to market that not only allowed common gun owners the ability to shoot accurately to extended distances but also managed to do it at a price that hadn't been done before.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Man my 6.5 cm can hit a knats ars at 1000000000 yards…no Kentucky Windage needed..strait from barrel to 100000000 yards…Well to be honest I don’t really need to fire a shot cause when them deer see it they drop dead for shock and awe

·
Registered
802 Posts
I believe one thing that is being overlooked in this discussion is probably, IMO, one of the biggest advantages: COST.

Hornady did an outstanding job of marketing and brought a cartridge to market that not only allowed common gun owners the ability to shoot accurately to extended distances but also managed to do it at a price that hadn't been done before.
Indeed, any mainstream ammunition company that adopts a round will typically garner it success. Marketing does wonders as often times whenever a new round comes out that's gaining popularity I see at least 10 to 20 people a day asking about it because they want to know what the fuss is all about or want to see it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First, , I absolutely love, love, love 300WM. Might be the best cartridge ever designed! Capable of taking EVERY North American game species.
I am not sure why all the hype over 6.5 as I feel it is no better than anything else.
Is it capable of successfully taking large game? yes.
Does it have reduced recoil yet similar ballistics of .308? Yes.
BUT, so do 6mm cartridges like the .243 if using heavy bullets.
I personally think the hype is simply about selling more guns and this fad will "cool off" just as fast as it started. Once people realize there is no actual benefit cost wise or ballisticly they will go back to the old standards of .30 caliber rifles i.e. 30/30, .308 & 30.06. All three of those "standard" caliber rounds cost less per round than 6.5 ammo, offer superior performance, and with proper load selection, provide the exact same benefits that the 6.5 caliber rounds have been boasting. You can't go wrong with the reduced recoil of a 30/30, or the range or stoping power of .308 or 30.06. I believe the 6.5 craze is just a fad that will die off soon. I bought a 6.5 Creedmoor to see what all the fus was about and now I have yet another rifle that will take up space because it is not a tool I will use often.
I guess my thoughts are if I can handle Whelen and Win mag w/o flinching issues, why would I ever shoot something less effective in case of a marginal hit? I have killed deer with .222 on up but I realize that as i get older I don't care for long tracking jobs, and these rounds afford some extra leeway if the shot isn't perfect.

·
Registered
236 Posts
But one final thing aiding in it's success is that it has made it's way into the US military and is going to become a standard round in inventory. And anything that has military adoption and success tends to see wide spread adoption from others further fueling it.
I believe that they are going to start using the 6.8 PRC cartridge. They evaluated the 6.5 but went with the 6.8. There are several gun makers that are building a squad automatic weapon in this caliber prototypes under contract.

·
Blessed are the peacemakers
1,353 Posts
For a general purpose, do all cartridge I still believe that .308 is king, the 6.5 is a paper optimized cartridge and with the small deer that we have here in south Ms proper selection of projectiles is paramount.
Projectiles like the Hornady ELD-X used in their precision hunter cartridges seem to perform ideally vs the fusion/core lokt bonded soft points, especially at closer range where the velocity is higher.

Personally I don’t own a 6.5 because the cartridge isn’t optimized for my uses, and 90% of the people that I see come through the shop don’t benefit from the 6.5 over a .308 or 7mm-08, but because of marketing saying it’s “the best thing since sliced bread” people are buying it up.

Personally there on 2 cartridges that are “new” that I have an interest in for my uses are the 6.8 SPC (short barrel suppressed AR-15 performance for deer and hogs) and 6.8 western (short action, Long range, high energy on target).

·
Registered
802 Posts
I believe that they are going to start using the 6.8 PRC cartridge. They evaluated the 6.5 but went with the 6.8. There are several gun makers that are building a squad automatic weapon in this caliber prototypes under contract.
Well the military last I had heard officially ended the NGSW program which was going to bring a 6.8 cartridge to the scene but essentially like all programs designed to replace something, went nowhere. I can't say I've heard of a 6.8 PRC, I know of 6.5 PRC and .300 PRC. Both of which if they military chooses to use them would be suitable for long range applications that they have.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts