Mississippi Gun Owners banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Waffennarr
8,869 Posts
Midway still has Federal bulk 400 round can of XM 193 (55gr FMJBT) for $289 + shipping. About 0.72 a round before shipping. I believe that's about as good as it will get for a while.

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Just like fuel prices and the .22LR shortage awhile back. Once they know what they can get prices will never go back to "old" levels. They will drop in a year or so, but will never be Pre Rona price levels.
Just my .02

·
Registered
298 Posts
There are no promises it will return to what is was. But hopfully if the election goes in the correect way, the prices will fall with time. The big take away from this is... When it is low, stop staring at those low prices and waiting, and buy when its low, BUY!. Buy with the knowledge that they will always go back up, leaving you wish you bought when it when you could. So when the prices are "normal" buy, and don't wait to save a few cents.

·
Premium Member
13,556 Posts
Or load it!
Stop saying I don’t have the room/time/skill to do so. It only a valuable commodity when you can’t make it yourself.

Has anyone plugged the current jacked up prices in a reloading calculator recently? I bet the savings are huge right now! 😂

·
Registered
708 Posts
Or load it!
Stop saying I don’t have the room/time/skill to do so. It only a valuable commodity when you can’t make it yourself.

Has anyone plugged the current jacked up prices in a reloading calculator recently? I bet the savings are huge right now! 😂
True, but can you find components if you didn't stockpile ahead of time. I have plenty of time. I have plenty of brass. I have fewer bullets. I have even fewer primers and powder, and they are not available at reasonable prices. I don't mean cheap/normal prices, just reasonable. I need to watch my crystal ball more closely so I can see these shortages before they hit.

I do have plenty of food and toilet paper, though. ;)

·
Premium Member
13,556 Posts
True, but can you find components if you didn't stockpile ahead of time. I have plenty of time. I have plenty of brass. I have fewer bullets. I have even fewer primers and powder, and they are not available at reasonable prices. I don't mean cheap/normal prices, just reasonable. I need to watch my crystal ball more closely so I can see these shortages before they hit.

I do have plenty of food and toilet paper, though. ;)
Oh.....I ain’t prepared for years of this either. I’m good for a long time tho. Plus......I cast all projectile for everything I shoot. Only two things bother me.....primer/powder. I’m those two......I’m comfortable

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,506 Posts
Yeah I could stand more of all of it. But not fretting over any of it right now. Got enough to get by for awhile just put most recreational shooting on the down low.

What I really need to do is by a bunch of 22 lr as I can find it. That way I can stay in practice with the AR by using the conversion kit.

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
20,032 Posts
Yeah I could stand more of all of it. But not fretting over any of it right now. Got enough to get by for awhile just put most recreational shooting on the down low.

What I really need to do is by a bunch of 22 lr as I can find it. That way I can stay in practice with the AR by using the conversion kit.
I learned my lesson last time on 22lr I have been stockpiling it for a couple years.

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
I learned my lesson last time on 22lr I have been stockpiling it for a couple years.
Yup we now have just over 25k in LR. About 5k in .22 mag.

·
Registered
15 Posts
No its not the new normal. Do you remember the Bummer era? It returned to record lows after that. So yes it will not stay as high as it is now but what it will turn out to be has yet to be seen.
I wish I had saved the article, but there was a very well written, and very detailed analysis of ammo prices that was effectively devoid of politics - it was basically an ideal economics thesis.

It talked about the post Obama slump, which aside from politics, was caused partially by fluctuations in metal prices. Copper, for example, was at a high of around $4.25 in 2011. It fell to a recent low (the lowest since the 2008 crash) in 2016 at around $2.00.

The paper also compared ammo prices to toilet paper. Toilet paper runs, like the 'Rona run, can't really be dealt with because the machinery to make TP is very expensive and time consuming to build. Moreover, TP usage is one of the most stable things in the world - its use is basically only tied to population. Factories were built to meet the demand at near full capacity, where they are most efficient. Once people started buying months in advance, in effect, there was no flexibility in the system. (Another interesting compounding issue was people pooping at home, rather than at the Office or at a School - factories that produced single-ply sandpaper TP kept up just fine, because the usage of that type fell tremendously. Aside from panic buying, there was a legitimate strain on the system to provide.)

So this brings me back to ammo and the well written article - a lot of gun-related companies lost a lot of money from trying to expand capacity to meet the various panic surges, like post Sandy-Hook. The ammo manufacturers are not going to do that again, and they didn't do it too much to begin with. It's a lot easier to file for an FFL and make AR lowers in your existing machine shop - it's a truly impressive industrial process to make ammo. Ammo prices returned to normal, maybe slightly lower - but if they fell it was more due to factories optimizing and the lower cost of raw material.

A note about the AR lowers I mentioned above, pre-Rona I was seeing stripped lowers for $30. That's madness, if I hadn't had a gun-safe of stripped lowers, or if my go-to gun store was willing to put 10 lowers on one form and charge me something other than 10 times the normal rate for one transfer, I would have bought more. I did, however, buy several thousand rounds before anyone (myself included) thought anything about the 'Rona - my dumb luck and my tendency to buy as much as I can store whenever the prices are low saved me as it has for the past decade.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,506 Posts
It was mostly do to fear of him banning everything. And everything from ammo to reloading components became scarce. Kinda just like now. Everything is scarce do to the riots and unrest people that normally hadn't bought a firearm are buying firearms and has caused a increased demand on factory ammo. This in turn caused those of us that reload to buy up components putting a strain on them causing another shortage. And like all things it will come to pass, well hopefully if Skippy don't get elected.

Oh and you was lucky cheapest I saw stripped lowers was $39 but seemed to be more normal at $49.

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
Local gun shop (well, it is located within 25 miles of the farm, so local is relative) has relatively good supply of Precision Delta .45 ACP FMJ at not much more than pre-panic, Fiocchi .32 ACP slightly up but not unreasonable, was out of 9mm today but who knows tomorrow? One reason I go to this place is the relatively reasonable price and re-supply, and I drive by there to get to doctors' appointments. Send me a PM, no free advertising. Although I do believe one of the staff or owners are members of MSGO.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Almost totally price gouging . But it is beginning to look like gas prices after a hurricane or refinery fire based on supply and demand. Stock piling ammo like you are in a war will certainly lead to shortages, IF everyone is doing it. Before this I just bought when on sale but have not seen a sale in a while and wondering if Federal will do the rebates.

·
Waffennarr
8,869 Posts

What conversion kit do you use for your AR rifles? I'm thinking of going with a kit to save $. Do the lead projectiles result in any fouling issues with the gas system?

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
What conversion kit do you use for your AR rifles? I'm thinking of going with a kit to save $. Do the lead projectiles result in any fouling issues with the gas system?
I use a old GI issue one from the 80's. They're great if you happen to find one. The .22lr will run dirtier than the 5.56, how much so depends on your ammo choice. That being said, I used to run this in my SP-1(1st AR) using 10 dollar a brick Blazer ammo with no firearm failures for the brick. It was dirty at the end of the day and I'd run a mag of 5.56 through it before leaving the range. Cleaned the wep when I got home. Did this for many a Sunday back then.

Reactions: rc and 2A_1791
21 - 40 of 70 Posts