Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at swapping my m1 carbine for this 1892 Winchester. It is chambered in 38-40 with a 20 inch barrel. There is no saddle ring so I think it is called an eastern carbine. It came out of western Oklahoma.

Does seem like a good trade on my part? The m1 carbine is worth about $1400

Brown Wood Office supplies Metal Pattern

Wood Metal Gun accessory Nickel Blade

Plant Wood Natural material Rectangle Font

Photograph Light Material property Gun accessory Composite material

Wood Musical instrument Hardwood Wood stain Publication

Brown Wood Terrestrial plant Metal Musical instrument

Wood Office supplies Writing implement Pen Flooring

· Registered
3,027 Posts
It is unusual in that it has a rifle buttstock. It possibly could have been ordered that way from the factory though. A desirable caliber!

· Morte
4,850 Posts
I’m thinking it may be a cut down rifle. It was made in 1913, and if carbine, it would have a saddle ring (used until 1925 I think). I see no evidence of a saddle ring, though the picture is not great on my phone, and has a rifle buttstock.

· Registered
1,420 Posts
Personally more fond of the M1's myself. But end of the day only you can decide if you're going to be happy or not on the trade. As far as the configuration, I can't say I've seen one like it before personally but then again it was probably made at a time when it could have been ordered custom or had work done to end up in the configuration. Without some kind of papers there'd be no way to know for sure but it certainly looks good for the age.

· Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well after all that the other person backed out. Individual was ready to do the deal last night and when I contacted him on meeting place he said he wasn’t going to do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts