Mississippi Gun Owners banner

WORKING ON RUGER REVOLVERS

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  DEADEYE 1 
#1 ·
I can see that there is a lot of knowledge on here so here is my question. Has anybody ever seen a Ruger New Model Single Six that has been used and abused [not by me] that keeps breaking hammer plungers?? I have installed 2 on this hammer and not fixed the problem yet. Here is what I believe is the problem. I think that the hole in the bottom of the hammer that houses the plunger and spring has become wallowed out and getting in a bind. I cleaned the hole out but there is a lot of slack in it. I also found out that the gun has been dropped before. I plan on buying a new hammer assembly with a new plunger and spring already installed. I know that the gun is capable of working because after installing the plunger before, it would pull down the cylinder latch into the bottom of the frame and then get into a bind. I was trying to save money but I could have bought the whole hammer assembly for little more than the hammer plunger and spring alone. I also plan on buying a new hammer pawl that pushes the cylinder just in case it is also getting in a bind. Any thoughts, Thanks, Mike :hi:

#2 ·
Well I just got in a new pawl, hammer with plunger , and a new Ruger transfer bar all from Brownells. I can,t wait to put all the new parts in.

#3 ·
Well I fixed it. What started out as a bad Monday, made a U-Turn. I got an order from Numrich arms and they sent me some of the wrong parts for another gun, about 70 dollars more in parts than I ordered. I got back on the Ruger Single Six which I had put all the upper assembly together on Sunday, a new pawl;, transfer bar, new hammer assembly with pivot pin and plunger, and new Wolf hammer spring and a Wolf reduced power trigger spring and new pawl spring,and cylinder latch spring and plunger . I mated the grip frame to it today, took a deep breath and cocked the hammer back then dropped the hammer, perfection or close enough for me. It is good when a plan comes together. It cocks perfectly. I checked the timing and it feels better than my new Ruger Single Six Hunter Model. It should with all new parts on the inside. What amazes me is that gunsmiths were working on Colt revolvers back in the late 1800s. William Mason designed the Colt revolver for Sam Colt. My grandaddy,s name was William Carl Mason. I hope that the William Mason that designed the Colt was in my family tree.He was a brilliant man and his revolver design is still in wide use today. Thanks for listening to a an old gun nut that is still learning something new.

#5 ·
Looks like you went it alone and succeeded!! You should be proud!

#6 ·
Yes it taught me something, in fact I learn something on every gun that I work on especially if I am problem solving and figuring out a mystery on what is causing the problem. What I learned on this gun is to not give up, take a break for a few days but don,t give up. I had called Ruger and considered sending the old revolver back to them. But in my mind I had narrowed it down to the spring and hammer plunger and the chamber that they go up in. I also figured that if I sent it back to Ruger that they would put all new parts inside the gun. I also put a Wolf reduced power hammer spring and reduced power trigger spring in and that trigger sure feels sweet. Thanks for the comments, Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.