Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made up 40 rounds to test fire last night and woke up to the howling wind today. I finally couldn't stand it and went to the range anyways figuring I'd have the place to myself. I was wrong, two of my friends were there! Birds of a feather I suppose.

I used the range next to the plate rack that has the one lane that goes out to 100 yards and was shielded from the wind about as good as I can expect on a day like today. The photo is my most promising group at 100 yards. I fired 10 rounds and can only count nine holes unless I have six rounds in that little ragged hole. I'll claim the two off to the right as my bad, but dang the one that clipped the edge of the target at 12 o'clock I just can't figure. All this was off a benchrest! Super flyer I guess, I can't imagine I pulled one 7" but I guess anything is possible.

I love load development!

· Registered
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Speer 125 TNT with IMR 4064. I tried 50, 51, and 52 grains of powder with this the best group with 52. C.O.A.L. is 3.1"

My research finds 125's to 135's were used back in the day at short ranges (100 and 200 yard) in highpower competition so I'm working up some to try for the reduced courses and the standing at Bouge Chitto. I hope the reduced recoil will tighten things up a bit so I can defeat the evil black rifles! :evil:

· Premium Member
21,635 Posts
123gr - interesting ...have never tried anything that light in the Garand ... will have to give it a try ... maybe some 130 grain cast ...

Agree - load development is fun!!

BTW: Put those evil black ones in their place!! :lol4:

· Registered
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My goal is to have a lighter recoiling round and as a big side benefit, 125's a much cheaper than 168's. I'm working from the other end of the spectrum now, having 10 rounds each with 46 and 47 grains.

I've been told by distinguished shooters using the M1 that any load that will shoot 2 MOA will clean the target and to spend more time with dry fire practice than load development.

I also picked up a video on HP shooting by David Tubb, probably the best that there has ever been. Interestingly he says at 200 yards the wind has negligible effect on the bullet, but that it has a large effect pushing your rifle around in the standing position.

· Registered
5,372 Posts
When shooting standing in the wind at any range, I use this technique. I place my feet slightly pigeon toed. This locks the back of the legs and causes the position to be more stable. try it. If you stand with the toes splayed outward, you will have a tendancy to rock back and forth.

Doug Bowser

· Premium Member
21,635 Posts
My 30.06 load for the 150gr SMK is:

RP Cases / CCI #34 Primer / 47.5 IMR4895 = average velocity is 2806fps

· Registered
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went back to the range and had to rush through my test due to shooting the breeze too much and wasting daylight. Tested were 48,50, and 52 grains of 4064 powder pushing a 125 grain speer tnt bullet. In an effort to remove variables I shot one 48, then a 50, 52, then back to 48 so barrel temps and fouling. From a clean cold barrel I shot off two rounds at the gong just to foul the barrel then shot the targets. Interestingly the first three shots were very low across all three powder charges. After that the 48 looked like patterning a shotgun, but the 50's and 52's started grouping well. The 8 ring shot at 12:30 on the middle target was called off. Later shots with the 50 and 52 grouped more to the left than the earlier shots, this is more clearly shown in the right target with the group of five first, then the group of four. The last few rounds gave me some difficulty from mirage off the barrel so that could have affected my aiming point. I loaded some 168's to use as a control group but didn't have the target space for a fourth target and ran out of light so I couldn't shoot them at the end. Yesterday I shot 47's that looked like the 48's and 46's that had a group two inches wide and 12" tall, the worst vertical stringing I've ever experienced.

· Registered
5,000 Posts
Still at 100 yds?

I've been waiting for more on this, Phillip. Being kinda scrawny & weak I like the idea of less recoil, especially for Rapid Fire.

What are your conclusions thus far? Where are you going next with this?

· Registered
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Seeing no signs of pressure problems, I will try 53 grains next, the maximum in the old reference I found. The problem is if it takes a hot load to be accurate it defeats the purpose because it will have as much recoil as a 150 - 168 grain load. I will also try 4895 and would like to give 3031 a shot. I will also add to my target frame so I can get 168's in the mix as a control group. Once I'm satisfied I have a 125 grain load that will shoot 10's and x's, I will abandon the bench and fire standing at 200 on a SR target and see how they compare to 168's. I've not yet decided how to do this, because once I build my position, I'll not want to alternate by switching to a different target. I may have to have a spotter sketch each load as I shoot alternately on the same target. This reminds me to practice my dry fire more!

· Registered
3,511 Posts
PhillipM said:
Seeing no signs of pressure problems, I will try 53 grains next, the maximum in the old reference I found. The problem is if it takes a hot load to be accurate it defeats the purpose because it will have as much recoil as a 150 - 168 grain load. I will also try 4895 and would like to give 3031 a shot. I will also add to my target frame so I can get 168's in the mix as a control group. Once I'm satisfied I have a 125 grain load that will shoot 10's and x's, I will abandon the bench and fire standing at 200 on a SR target and see how they compare to 168's. I've not yet decided how to do this, because once I build my position, I'll not want to alternate by switching to a different target. I may have to have a spotter sketch each load as I shoot alternately on the same target. This reminds me to practice my dry fire more!
I could spot for you if you want to try it after the .22 F-Class this coming Saturday. I'm curious to see how the different loads do too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.