close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

You too, can screw up a 1911...

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by patchz, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Dr. Benway

Dr. Benway Distinguished Poster

lol, he thinks the weaver and a surprise break is modern shooting. He didn't even mention a dremel. Did he write this in the late 70's?

2. Sum Gy Custom Firearms

Sum Gy Custom Firearms Distinguished Poster

3. patchz

patchz Court Jester

Saw it, well said.

4. CajunBP

CajunBP Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I read your response and not sure I agree. I mean, YouTube can teach me to do anything those gunsmiths with their knowledge and fancy tools can do...for free. In fact, one guy (not to be confused with Sum Gy) showed me how to customize my 1911 with everyday household items...the Internet has made craftsmen obsolete!:p

5. Sum Gy Custom Firearms

Thanks for the insight!!!! Was wondering why my business was struggling so bad!!!! :hmm::lol6:

maxhush, Cliff731, phillipd and 6 others like this.
  6. fordpkup

fordpkup Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Some of these Utubers saw a picture of a 1911 and are now experts. :lol1:

7. steve2112

steve2112 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Clinton
    I find the article amusing, but I disagree about the buy the cheapest 1911. There are some really good low priced 1911 models out there right now. RIA makes some good ones at a good price. With a little TLC, they can be almost as good as those fancy pants models, for a lot less money.

8. Sum Gy Custom Firearms

Not a lot of people will ever be able to know the differences in a 500 dollar 1911 and a 1200 dollar 1911! A very few might know the difference in a 1200 dollar 1911 and a 2000 dollar 1911 and more than likely 1 in 10,000 can tell the difference in a 2000 dollar 1911 and a 4000 dollar 1911!!! I would say that 999 out of a 1000 1911's sold over 1200 dollars are bought for bragging rights more than anything else!!

maxhush, Cliff731, Trashy and 8 others like this.
  9. patchz

patchz Court Jester

Leave out the $4k and I have one or more of each category you list. I don't know all the differences but I'm learning some of them.

And I bet the ones in the cheapest category can be brought up to equal or almost equal the others if I gave some guy :rolleyes: that knows what he's doing the money to do the work. :D

Cliff731, Trashy, phillipd and 4 others like this.
  10. Sum Gy Custom Firearms

Usually pretty easy to make a 1000 dollar and under gun run like a 2000 dollar gun!!! Just won't have one of them big names attached and it will most likely be hand fitted instead of the much finer machine fitting!!! :D:lol6:

11. CajunBP

CajunBP Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I am no expert at any gun model or style, but I would venture that is true for all handguns and long arms. I have two handguns that I consider my flagship handguns, my Ruger Match Champion ($700) and my STI (.40 cal/$1,000). In my head, I can't imagine what could make them shoot better, at least with my limited experience. Just in the last six months I have come to the conclusion that I will stick to 1911s and revolvers. Not to say anything negative about the others, I have duty carried an H&K and a Beretta for the last 18 years and they have served me well. Now I just have to come to grips with de-Glocking!

Cliff731, 22lrfan, Trashy and 4 others like this.
  12. steve2112

Clinton
    Pretty much. My brother has two sweet Dan Wesson 1911s. I can tell that the material in them is better, and the fit and finish is better than my Ruger 1911 and my Desert Eagle 1911. Does that make them worth twice the price of mine? I don't know. I still shoot about as badly with any of them. I figure I would be about the same, even with a $2k or $4k version.

Those Dan Wessons are pretty sexy though, especially his V-Bob. :D

13. Nice diversion from the articles of the utterly ill informed and the overly boring .

14. Sum Gy Custom Firearms

msgo threads seldom go long without being diverted or perverted or both!!!!!:lol6::lol6:

maxhush, Cliff731, 22lrfan and 6 others like this.
  15. patchz

patchz Court Jester

Otherwise, they die from lack of interest. :rolleyes:

16. image.jpeg

17. Cricketcage

Cricketcage Distinguished Poster

Bought a couple of no-name magazines at a gunshow back in the 80's and neither of my 1911s would run 'em. One of the cheapest lessons I ever learned. Lucky enough never to have a problem even with el cheapo ammo. Never tried any of the other methods.

18. steve2112

Clinton
    45flattop, maxhush, 22lrfan and 4 others like this.
  19. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus