Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loaded question here but if it got down to brass tax and you could only have one rifle scope for your deer hunting needs which one would it be???

·
Registered
13,819 Posts
For me it would be a low power variable like a vortex strike eagle 1-8 or one of the new 1-10.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Leupold varix III 3.5-10x 40mm. Clarity, use of low rings to keep scope low, easy turned power dial, and hasn't been removed or needed any adjustment since sighted in on model 70 over 40 years ago. I had a 2.5x8 before that due to my hunt style but needed range more, over in those Adams-Franklin county hills back in the day.

·
Registered
11,989 Posts
Doctor 3-10x40
Leupold vari-x3 2.5-10x50

All the others are cheaper and or more Tactical/Precision oriented, I still hunt with them though.

·
Rational Anarchist
15,121 Posts
I’ve killed most of my deer with either a Leupold VariX-II 3-9x40mm or VariX-III 3.5-10x40mm. I’d say the Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40mms, I have image-wise, seem to be on par with the VariX-III. It’s a shame they stopped making scopes.

I like my Vortex StrikeEagle 1-6 enough that I’ll likely get a Vortex next time I buy any kind of new scope.

All of that being said the VariX-III 3.5-10x40mm always lives on my current favorite hunting rifle. Now it’s on my PSA AR10 but will move to a .308 Encore barrel as soon as I get around to it. A tactical Nikon-M scope, whose exact specs (3-18x50mm?) I cannot recall, will top the AR10, at that time.

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
Right now, I’d say my $69 Centerpoint 3-9x40 that’s been on my H&R .45-70 ever since they made them legal for primitive weapon season. Killed more deer with that thing than I can remember and never loses zero.

But I am thinking about replacing the Simmons on my 270. Just don’t know what I want yet.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I have a 20 year old Nikon Monarch 3-9x40 that is a great scope. It has held zero over many hunting seasons and is definitely my “go to” scope.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I like a lot of magnification and tons of light. I get my 30minutes before and after the sun. So my favorite thus far is my vortex vpr 6.5-20x50 because it’s the best I’ve really used in field. Mil dots are good for ranging and the side focus is really nice. Like I said it’s the best I’ve used in the field, but I’m certain plenty of high-end stuff would lure me away with some field time with others.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My favorite is a Zeiss Conquest I have on my Model 700. 3-9x with a Z-plex reticle. Killed a lot of deer with that combo, good low light performance.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts