close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Youth lifetime sportsman license price increase?

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by Jarhead5811, May 10, 2016.

1. Jarhead5811

Jarhead5811 Rational Anarchist MSGO Supporter

My Dad heard that the regular sportsman license is going up this year. Has anybody heard anything about an increase in the price of the Lifetime licenses? I'm googling and can't find anything.

2. BasMstr

BasMstr Distinguished Poster

I just got my renewal notice, and this is the price breakdown. $76.16, not including the annual Range Permit and Federal Duck Stamp. Oh yeah, multiply that by two -- gotta pay for Bobcat, too.
    FullSizeRender.jpg

3. Jarhead5811

Jarhead5811 Rational Anarchist MSGO Supporter

That sucks.

I've never had to buy a Mississippi Hunting or Fishing license. Had to get a North Carolina fishing license, once. My Dad and Grandad got me a Lifetime Sportsman License just before I turned sixteen.

My Dad got our oldest, now seven, one for his first birthday. He has been planning to get our five year old one and was going to go ahead and do it, now, if the rate were about to increase.

BasMstr likes this.
  4. BasMstr

According to MDWFP, it's still $500 (up to age 12 -- $1,000 for 13 and over). If you can afford it, get it. Wish I had been able to for my son. The Lifetime also includes the WMA Permit, so you don't have to pay that every year, either.

There's been talk of it being raised, but I haven't seen anything finalized on it yet. I was shocked by how many hunters actually support a price increase. I know that it goes to MDWFP, but they're gonna price it out of reach for a lot of people. By the time I had the Federal Duck Stamp and Annual Range Fee, I'm looking at $168.45 ($336.90 for both of us).

5. gutdoc

gutdoc Distinguished Poster

When my son was 2 I paid $200 for his lifetime license. That would have been around 1998. When my daughter turned 2 I sent in her $200 bucks and got a letter saying I missed the deadline by less than a month. They had went up to $500. Mine was $500 but that was decades ago.

6. gutdoc

gutdoc Distinguished Poster

The possible big upside is if your kid moved out of state. I've been told the lifetime license is still good. Here's a link to the new fee increase. It's coming, just not sure when.

Nonresident license fee increase delayed

7. righttoown

righttoown Distinguished Poster

Looks like he may need to get him a part time job this summer and pay his half.

8. BasMstr

Him and sister are both gonna get jobs this summer to pay car insurance. We just consider his Sportsman License as his birthday gift each year.

9. Mesquite

Mesquite Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter